penny shima glanz's Reviews > The Secret Language of Cats

The Secret Language of Cats by Susanne Schötz

bookshelves: netgalley, cats

Drawing upon her phonetician toolbox, in The Secret Language of Cats, Schötz explores and explains her scientific analysis of the noises her favoured felines make. Are these sounds considered language? Can we develop a sound-based dictionary and grammar to help derive meaning for what a cat may be attempting to convey? The answers to these questions and more are found inside the delightful read.

I enjoyed Dr Schötz's ingenuity combining her academic research with her other interests. Her dedication to the topic is apparent in the diligence and care she's taken to trying to figure out what that chirrup at a bird might mean.

My Shadow cat has changed his communication methods over his time with me, and we are both pleased when we each communicate properly to the other. I think the understanding this book has provided me would have helped us to forge a common language much sooner in our relationship.

This is a valuable book for the reader who lives with a cat and those who are curious about the communication methods of other species.

I received an eARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for a review. The FTC wants you to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Language of Cats.