Jill's Reviews > Girl Reading

Feb 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: book-group
Read from February 02 to 28, 2012

This was our 8th Book for Book Group and we were unanimously disappointed with the ending and other parts of the book.

We felt there was little to no connection between the stories, although some were enjoyable on their own we did not feel the drive or excitement to continue the book and many of us felt that we would not have finished the book if it were not for the fact that it was for Book Group.

We felt that the lack of quotation marks could be explained once the last chapter was read but that the last chapter was an afterthought, tacked on to explain the rest of the book, but by this point we did not really care and had become annoyed and frustrated,

If you have read 'Cloud Atlas', 'The Road' and 'The Red Tent' then you can see elements of them within this novel, but not as well constructed as the original ideas. In David Mitchell's 'Cloud Atlas' there is different stories in different time periods but with a definite link that makes you want to continue reading, Cormac McCarthy's, 'The Road' had no punctuation whatsoever and was inkeeping with the whole tone and atmosphere of the post-apocalyptic world and Anita Diamant's 'The Red Tent' gave an entire novel to voiceless women, not just a chapter. If the stories behind the paintings in 'Girl Reading' were worhty of being heard and explored then why limit them to a chapter?

The idea behind 'Girl Reading' was very promising but it failed to live up to expectations. Good idea but bad execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Reading.