Emily's Reviews > Five Midnights

Five Midnights by Ann Dávila Cardinal

12065550

"But he'd better andar con cuidado, be careful, or he'll come for him, too. He'll come for retribuciòn."

3.5⭐

Five Midnights is Ann Davila Cardinal's debut YA novel, and I enjoyed reading it! This book is Cardinal's take on the legend of El Cuco (as he is known in Puerto Rico - since Texas is closer to Mexico, I've heard of him as El Cucuy, and learned that the name has differences in different areas).

I was intrigued by Lupe and Marisol, and the path of their relationship. I wish more time would have been spent on them instead of Lupe and Javier. I know, I always get tripped up on this in YA books.

I wish there would have been more horror. I felt like the potentially spooky scenes were pretty spread out, and I was interested in seeing more creepiness from the story.

I loved the setting, and this is the first time I've read a horror story set in Puerto Rico. I hope to see more horror stories in different environments.

Although I was a little let down by some of the aspects mentioned above, I liked Five Midnights, and I'll definitely be checking out the sequel once it's out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Midnights.

February 11, 2019 – Shelved
page 104
October 9, 2019 –
page 202
October 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Wyrd (new)

Wyrd Witch In Cuba, we heard him as El Coco more.