C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Orphan's Code

The Orphan's Code by C.R.R. Hillin

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2019, epic-fantasy, young-adult

This was so thoroughly engaging and intense, I am just an exhausted smear on the footpath. Like, exhausting in the best possible way. You know when you get really into a story so you're kind of racing along with it?? See, bookworms workout. Our little hearts get to bust out of our little chests. CARDIO.

Now I fully confess to not being the best with epic fantasy because my brain is t i r e d. But I loved this. I loved the depth of the world and the complexity of the city. But what got me the most?? The characters. I am trash for good characters and this had the found-family that I liiiive for. It's basically a group of kids hiding out from their death warrants and they fiercely protect and love each other. And while I didn't keep up with the king's chapters so super well (that's on me though lol), I just lived and breathed for every scene with Kayo and Rose.

Can we just pls take a moment for characters who steal your hearts??? A+ here omg. Kayo is the softest cinnamon son, total Gryffindor, and his brother was this famous vigilante, but Kayo really sucks at filling in his boots because he wan't hurt people. (Yeah, my heart MELTED.) He's also super messed up so, ya. You got me. I am yours. And Rose was just my scrappy biting feral queen of the gutter. (Like if Lila Bard from A Darker Shade of Magic had a kid?? IT WOULD BE ROSE.) Her character arc is glorious. She just goes from trying to stab everyone, to only occasionally wanting to stab everyone. <3 Bless. And Kayo and Rose's hate-to-love romance, peppered with the cutest vulnerability and worries and softness, was my absolute favourite thing.

The plot is super intense and full on too...but the last chapters are what leaves you screaming softly into the void. I didn't want my CHILDREN to be hurt, ok. (Which brings me to point out: this book likes to hurt its characters...and me.)

This is a fantasy adventure of crime and desperation, all wrapped up in the intensity that comes with kids who make their own families when the world spits them out. Also it has like a medieval Batman so I'm here for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orphan's Code.

February 10, 2019 – Started Reading