C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Orphan's Code

The Orphan's Code by C.R.R. Hillin

bookshelves: read-2019, epic-fantasy, young-adult

This was so thoroughly engaging and intense! I loved the depth of the world and the complexity of the city. But what got me the most?? The characters. I am trash for good characters and this had the found-family that I live for. It's basically a group of kids hiding out from their death warrants and they fiercely protect and love each other. And while I didn't keep up with the king's chapters so super well (that's on me though lol), I just lived and breathed for every scene with Kayo and Rose.

Kayo is the softest cinnamon son, total Gryffindor, and his brother was this famous vigilante, but Kayo really sucks at filling in his boots because he won't hurt people. (Yeah, my heart MELTED.) And Rose was just my scrappy biting feral queen of the gutter. (Like if Lila Bard from A Darker Shade of Magic had a kid? It would be Rose.) Her character arc is glorious. She just goes from trying to stab everyone, to only occasionally wanting to stab everyone. Kayo and Rose's hate-to-love romance, peppered with the cutest vulnerability and worries and softness, was my absolute favourite thing.

The plot is super intense and full on too...but the last chapters are what leaves you screaming.

This is a fantasy adventure of crime and desperation, all wrapped up in the intensity that comes with kids who make their own families when the world spits them out. Also it has like a medieval Batman so I'm here for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orphan's Code.

February 10, 2019 – Started Reading