Lyn's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

The idea for Sh*t My Dad Says was first introduced to the world by author Justin Halpern when he began posting quotes from his father online. Buoyed by the overwhelming popularity of the posts, he put the stream of sagacity down into an expanded book form and this was published in 2010.

“Sometimes life leaves a hundred-dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later it's because it fucked you.”

Profane, sometimes vulgar, but very, very funny Halpern fills this book with quotes he and his family heard from his father, a cancer researcher in San Diego. Most quotes are simply introduced by a setting, such as:

“On Lego's -

Listen, I don't want to stifle your creativity, but that thing you built there, it looks a pile of shit.”

Other times, Halpern begins with the quote and then provides a more detailed backstory to give the citation more context. I found these vignettes the most entertaining. While his father’s wit and wisdom are clearly the star of the show, Halpern is a good writer and he fills in the gaps well.

“Your penis betrayed you, son. Made you think stupid. It won't be the last time that happens.”

Actually, what made me really like this was the juxtaposition Dr. Halpern’s world view has with our current, mamby pamby, watered down political correctness. Raised in rural Kentucky, served in the military during Vietnam, the elder Halpern is an atavistic old school tough guy who raised himself and his family up from poverty by working hard and smart. Much of his witticisms are focused on the need to impart to his son the necessity of hard work and sharing tough lessons of common sense and practicality.

“You worry too much. Eat some bacon...what? No, I got no idea if it'll make you feel better, I just made too much bacon.”

Very funny, often laugh out loud funny, I very much enjoyed this and recommend it highly.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.

Finished Reading
February 10, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Mwanamali (new)

Mwanamali Is this the book they tried to adapt into a series with Shatner?

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Hmmm, not sure, it was funny though

Tracey Loved this book. His Dad is hilarious. :)

message 4: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars