Robert Owens's Reviews > Death by Darjeeling

Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs

bookshelves: fiction, cozy-mystery, cozy-mystery-bookclub, kindle

This was the February 2019 selection for our Cozy Mystery Book Club. I like cozies and I have to endure some overly feminine storylines at times. With that as a backdrop, a tea inspired book wasn't getting me amped up.

I was wrong! This was a very good cozy. What impressed me right off was the word choice. Some good choices and throughout the book lots of literary devices used including similes and metaphors that seemed dialed in. The descriptions Childs used were interesting and helped me set the scenery. Hey, they were good enough for me to comment on in this review.

The murder mystery was fine. I had the suspect early on and confirmed it a few times along the way. Nevertheless, the story was pretty well told.

A couple flaws: Jeep Cherokees are not open air, Johnson & Wales does not have a campus in South Carolina. I also wasn't a fan of how the environmentalist/label maker storyline was wrapped up. I felt that received short shrift.

The main characters are compelling. I don't see a tea store supporting four salaries, but I'll leave that alone. Drayton adds to this story. Theodosia is an interesting leading lady. While she has the typical cozy pedigree, I don't find her shallow at all.

I thought this was written just a little bit differently to hold my interest. While we got the tea lessons, it was nearly as overt nor annoying as I have read in many others.

I welcome continuing this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death by Darjeeling.

February 10, 2019 – Started Reading