Kristilyn's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: physical-book, favourites, read-in-2012
Read from February 24 to 25, 2012

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Oh. My. Goodness!!! My words, my words!! Where are my words? I know I told you in my review of The Goddess Test that I couldn’t wait to read the next book, Goddess Interrupted, and I was so lucky to receive it from NetGalley. As soon as I finished writing my review for the first instalment, I immediately dove into this one and it so was not a disappointment!

I know this girl who can’t just read a book all the way through — instead, she usually skips to the end to see how the book ended before she can continue reading the rest of the story. This is exactly what I felt like doing while reading Goddess Interrupted, the second book in the Goddess Test series, by Aimee Carter. It completely blew me out of the water and I found myself squirming to know what was going to happen as the book went on, just itching to flip to the back to make sure everything would turn out how I wanted it to.

Goddess Interrupted starts off six months after The Goddess Test finished. At the end of The Goddess Test, Kate marries Henry and then she gets to go live her life away from the Underworld for six months until the autumnal equinox when she will have to go back to her new life. As she had promised to take on the role as Queen of the Underworld, as well as the role of Henry’s wife, her coronation was the next logical step. But, as it always happens in books, nothing goes as planned and all hell breaks loose — literally — and Kate and her new family are thrown into a battle they did not expect.

I loved this book. I felt it was the perfect sequel to The Goddess Test and also perfect in that it left me wanting the next book to come out this instant. I still loved Kate’s character in this story as she is left to face the newness of marriage. Not so much a newlywed anymore, having been married now for 3.5 years, I still could understand what Kate was going through. All of a sudden being in this new role where things are confusing and you have to learn the ways and habits of a new person who shares everything with you. I really, really loved this aspect of the book. I was expecting it to happen and I loved how it all played out, despite the fact that I was on pins and needles the whole way.

That being said, I love Henry and Kate together — throughout the whole first novel, I detested James and really hoped that him and Kate wouldn’t be thrust together. I much prefer Henry and how he isn’t so quick and obvious to display his feelings. I also really enjoyed learning more about all my favourite characters in this book, too, especially Ava. If you’ve read P.C. and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series, you’ll know the character Aphrodite — to me, Ava (who is the goddess Aphrodite) reminds me of her and I love it.

Another thing I love about this book, and I didn’t mention it for the first instalment, is that it’s so refreshing to read a book that is a YA book where the main character isn’t 16 years old. It seems every YA book I read, the second the age is mentioned, I don’t even have to read it. But in this series, in Goddess Interrupted specifically, Kate is 19 years old, a perfectly normal age to be going through what she’s going through (except for all the Greek god drama, of course).

The only thing that was confusing to me, and it’s no fault of Aimee Carter’s, is that I had a hard time wrapping myself around the Greek gods themselves — who was married to whom, who had which children, etc. Sadly, I took a whole semester of Greek mythology in university but I failed to remember even the simplest gods. Perhaps this is a good excuse to pull out my text book for a read.

If you haven’t read this series yet, you should read it (although if you haven’t read it yet, I’m sure I’ve spoiled plenty for you in the first book with this review!). If you only read the first book, you must pick up the second book the instant it comes out because I assure you — it’ll keep you up at night. I am so excited to see what Aimee Carter comes up with in the future because I think she is a terrific writer who weaves a novel full of twists and turns, romance and friendship, effortlessly. She is officially one of my favourite authors now — and she should be one of yours, too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.