K.'s Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

bookshelves: paranormal, 2012, steampunk, own-it-hard-copy, alternate-history, setting-africa, 2016, lgbtqia-narrator, setting-uk, audience-adult
Read 2 times. Last read July 22, 2016 to July 24, 2016.

24/7/2016
This was utterly delightful, even on reread. I loved the history in the story, the intriguing looks at Egypt and its history with the paranormal (we're told briefly that Ancient Egypt was controlled by werewolves, and Rome by vampires). It's especially fun after reading Prudence and seeing how the next generation turn out.

Biffy's story is particularly delightful, and I have high hopes for a novella focusing on him sometimes in the future. Please and thank you??

7/3/2012
I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire Parasol Protectorate series, though I still think the first book is my favourite. In this, the final installment which is set two years after the events of "Heartless", Lady Alexia Maccon travels to Egypt with her husband and child on the request of the Queen of the Alexandria hive.

With Prudence around, high jinks ensue. But in the process, Alexia discovers a number of things about herself, her daughter and her father. While the story didn't quite go the way I expected it to, it was still thoroughly enjoyable, filled with wonderful characters and witty dialogue.

For the first time, the narrative is fairly split between Alexia (in Egypt) and Biffy (in London). I enjoyed this much more than if, say, the London side of the plot had been advanced solely through Alexia receiving messages from Biffy at regular intervals throughout the book. But at the same time, it was a little strange to suddenly have half a chapter without any input from the main character.

I had a moment of "OH MY GOD, SHE DID NOT JUST DO THAT!!" with forty pages to go, which had me on the verge of a little tearful moment. But, as one expects from the last book in a series, all was tied up neatly, leaving the reader with a sense of finality. (Although at the same time, it seems like there's definite potential for a Prudence spin off series!!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

February 1, 2012 – Shelved
page 268
page 345
89.38% "Oh my God. If Carriger did what I think she just did, this series is dead to me forever."
page 365
94.56% "Thank God for that."
March 6, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal
July 24, 2016 – Shelved as: lgbtqia-narrator
July 24, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2016 – Shelved as: setting-uk
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: audience-adult

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Lisa I would LOVE a future Biffy story. That storyline might have been my favorite in the book.