RavenclawReadingRoom's Reviews > Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal, 2012, steampunk, own-it-hard-copy, 2016, alternate-history, setting-uk, audience-adult, around-the-world-in-80-books
Read 2 times. Last read January 19, 2016 to January 20, 2016.

I enjoyed this more on reread, and I'm bumping my rating up to 4.5 stars. I still love Soulless more than this one, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun, especially after having read The Finishing School series.

It's still utterly hilarious with fun little "a-ha!" moments when you're rereading. I love Ivy's story in this book. I love Madame Leroux. I actually like Felicity as a comic foil to Ivy's ridiculousness. And the Scottish pack are pretty damned great. So yeah, I stand by my assessment that it's not as good as the first one. But it's still utterly delightful and a hell of a lot of fun.

After absolutely adoring the first book in the series, "Soulless", I had high hopes for this. Probably a little TOO high, because while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I didn't love it quite as much as I did the first one.

I suspect that might be in part due to Alexia and Lord Maccon spending quite a bit of the book apart, resulting in less of the awesome banter that I loved so much in "Soulless". I was also confused as to why it apparently took two and a half days to travel from London to Scotland via dirigible. It's really not that far!!

Minor quibbles aside, I thought it was a great read, and the cliffhanger ending - which was pretty unexpected, given that everything seemed to be tied into a nice little bow several pages before the end of the book! - had me diving straight into the third book in the series because OMG MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS RIGHT NOW.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeless.

February 1, 2012 – Shelved