Kiera's Reviews > Akata Witch

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor

bookshelves: 2019, fantasy, luc-s-list, ya, battle-of-the-books

This Young Adult novel set in Nigeria follows Sunny who was born in New York and looks African but is albino. Sunny feels like she doesn't fit in. Untill her friends Orlu and Chichi reveal that they have magical abilities, and so does Sunny. But Sunny and her friends have been asked to track down a serial killer who's abilities are much stronger than theirs.

I am in love with this story.

It felt kind of Harry Potter-ish, if Harry was a girl and the story was set in Nigeria. The whole thing with buying the juju knife and also the money and how 'lambs' couldn't see 'leopards' because of the juju. But I was okay with it.

The soccer game?.?..was totally pointless though. I mean I get that some people like soccer but I'm really not a sports person.

The magic system is so cool and original. At first I was like juju? That's stupid, and to be honest I'm still like what kind of name is juju? But. It's so cool. I love how the chittim (money) falls from the sky when they learn. The magic system is so interesting and I can't wait to read Amara Witch and learn more about it.

Sunny--
Sunny is out brave main character who is albino. She loves soccer but because she is so sensitive to the sun she can only play at night. Sunny finds out that she has magical powers.
It was really interesting to see Sunny navigate her way through the magic and learn about it.

Sasha--
Sasha was so funny. I loved his character.
I really liked how he stood up to the boys and the soccer game and told them to let Sunny play. Overall he was just such a fun character and I can't wait to read more about him.

Overall the magic system was so interesting and perfect. The writing style was beautiful. Akata Witch was so exciting and addicting, I literally couldn't put it down, it was so interesting. I can't wait to read more from Nnedi Okorafor.
5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Akata Witch.

February 5, 2019 – Started Reading