Stacia | stacialovestoread's Reviews > Girls with Sharp Sticks

Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young

bookshelves: arcs, wish-list

Thank you so much to my dear friend and author Lish McBride for sending me her extra ARC of this book.

This book is a bit of a look at the way today’s society very much blames the victim of a sexual assault because “she was too pretty” or “she dressed like she wanted it”. Both excuses are 100% invalid and should instead be answered with “XYZ happened to her because the man that did it can’t control HIMSELF. She did nothing wrong.” In the case of Girls, they are all underage (and brainwashed) yet their teachers look at them like a juicy steak and reprimand them for being “too pretty” or “too sweet” when....that’s what they’re being made to believe is correct?

Philomena is our MC: spunky, headstrong, and fellow sugar-addict. Up until a field trip to the gardening center, Mena had been completely content with her life at Innovations Academy. Another girl has a bit of a spaz moment after “hearing” the roses talking to her, which piques Mena’s interest: what’s wrong with Valentine? What did she mean by “waking up”? Is Mena awake? How does one become awake?
Covert meetings with a cute boy with a backstory that has tendrils tangled in IA but the drive and means to get the girls out.

This book comes right on the heels of the #metoo movement that swept the planet last year. Girls with Sharp Sticks is a perfect example of how a victim doesn’t have to stay a victim. To anyone who has been a victim, in any way, I encourage you to take back your power and make sure you have a sharp stick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls with Sharp Sticks.

February 10, 2019 – Shelved
February 10, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 10, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs
February 10, 2019 – Shelved as: wish-list
February 20, 2019 – Started Reading
February 20, 2019 –
page 51
12.75% "So already I can see where this book is going.
Girls are taken to school to become “perfect”...,more or less like a modern day Stepford wife."
February 22, 2019 –
page 78
19.5% "Things are becoming more and more interesting...."
page 102
25.5% "The plot thickens."
page 147
36.75% "1. I don’t like the way it’s called “impulse CONTROL therapy”
2. This book has put us all back in the stone ages.
3. Why are there only MALE teachers telling young ladybird how they ought to behave?
4. WHERE ARE THE PARENTS."
page 161
40.25% "Sooooo what ACTUALLY is going on around here?"
February 24, 2019 –
page 231
57.75% "WE WANT A REVOLUTION"
February 24, 2019 –
page 264
66.0% "Yesssss. Mena is awake. Valentine is awake. We’re all awake. We is woke."
February 25, 2019 – Finished Reading