Krystal's Reviews > Her

Her by Britney King

My Thoughts on this book:

Right from the beginning this book was effed up, the narrator was plotting the murder of her, whoever who is. We don't find out who they are either until about chapter 2. So it was extremely intriguing right from the start, you are drawn in and kept wanting more. Sadie holds a lot of hostility for Ann right from the very beginning of her being in town and you can tell just by how she talks about her throughout the book, and admits in the narrative that she had avoided her since she came to town before meeting her. Sadie is a divorcee who is desperately trying to win her husband back throughout the book. Ann in contrast is what one would call a certifiable sociopath who continues to have people killed who she feels has jilted her. During the book Ann does many manipulative things for her own ulterior motives under the guise of being a good friend. Such as getting Sadie a job at the school as a substitute teacher when Sadie needed a job, only Ann wanted to use that position for Sadie to spy. This made me feel honestly worried for Sadie. And while I did like this book I feel duty bound to warn people about possible content triggers in this book. I had a lot of trouble with the borderline consent issues in the book, because Ann was so manipulative and mentally abusive she did a lot of things that Sadie does not say no to but that you can tell she is not 100% comfortable with even though she agrees to them, though not explicitly. However, Given the fact that Sadie has been the victim of mental and emotional abuse by her ex husband (which is found later in the book) her response to Ann's behavior is understandable given the similarities between the ex and Ann in behaviour. It just went to show how extremely unlikeable of a character that Ann is. The twist in this book is something that I did not expect and was quite utterly SHOCKED by. All in All I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was intriguing and super fast paced straight from the beginning. Britney knows how to weave a great story and she's done it again in what is hands down her best work yet!

***** I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review******

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her.

February 10, 2019 – Shelved