MischaS_'s Reviews > Four Dead Queens

Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte

bookshelves: english, arc, sneak-peek
Read 2 times. Last read February 10, 2019.

****I received an advance review copy (sneak peek in this case) for free in exchange for an honest review, and I am leaving this honest review voluntarily.

I completely missed that this is only a sneak peek! I reached a WTF moment and wanted to know what next and there is nothing! I really, really need the rest of this book.

I wanted to read this book since when I found about this book in September. However, I already voiced my concerns that this book with its title and maybe even cover may confuse some people into believing that it's an instalment in the Three Dark Crowns series by Kendare Blake. It was my first reaction when I saw it before noticing a different author name. And I think it would be a shame if people missed this because of the confusion.

So, what can I say after reading this 66 pages long sneak peek? I'm excited about this book. We get the action right away! Something is happening from page one; we are already in action and, so far it does not feel like an information dump. I'll admit that I have a hard time remembering which Queen is a Queen over which quadrant and what they do there. But we are only five chapters in, so, nothing terrible.

I like how the Queens are different, but thankfully it does not seem like they will try to kill each other. And I'm really excited about Queen Stessa; she seems like a headstrong young lady.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Keralie's story is going. However, I can already say that I will be obsessed with Mackiel. He already seems like my kind of character.
Though I have to wonder about the whole "thief" part of the story, it seems to be getting a tad bit overused.

The only thing that's getting a bit on my nerves is the whole "Four quadrants of the Quadara." A bit more originality hear it would go a long way, at least for me.

Anyway, all I want to say that I feel more confident about this book than I did before reading this sneak peek. And now, can I get the whole book, pretty please? 😇

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Dead Queens.

September 13, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 10, 2019 – Started Reading
February 10, 2019 – Shelved
February 10, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2019 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 2, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 4, 2019 –
page 173
40.33% "This is going to be AMAZING! And can I get more of Mackiel?" (Kindle Edition)
March 5, 2019 –
page 219
51.05% "WHy is this going so fast! And I think I'm going crazy!!!!" (Kindle Edition)
March 6, 2019 –
page 259
60.37% "I'm officially dead. This is crazy! I have no idea what's going on and I have bazillion theories and one poor soul who will hear all of them. 😂" (Kindle Edition)
March 6, 2019 –
page 307
71.56% "description

I'm seriously impressed by this book. 😍"
(Kindle Edition)
March 9, 2019 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by JW (new) - added it

JW I really want to read this book! Your teaser just added to my anticipation. 😆

MischaS_ JW wrote: "I really want to read this book! Your teaser just added to my anticipation. 😆"

You tell me about it! The sneak peek was only five chapters! 😳

And before reading it, I wanted to read it, but I was not overly excited. Now? I have problems breathing. If the rest of the book will be like the five chapters? I expect a fabulous ride full of action.

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad this sneak peek has you really excited for the series, Mischa ;) Fabulous review!! 😘❤️

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly Oh man, having it just end because you didn't realize it was only a sneak peek, and it hasn't come out yet, that's torture! Hopefully you get the full thing soon :)

MischaS_ KAS wrote: "So glad this sneak peek has you really excited for the series, Mischa ;) Fabulous review!! 😘❤️"

Thank you so much! 😍 I'm so happy to be excited because lately it was so hard to find a good book.

MischaS_ Holly wrote: "Oh man, having it just end because you didn't realize it was only a sneak peek, and it hasn't come out yet, that's torture! Hopefully you get the full thing soon :)"

You tell me about it! It's such torture! And such a stupid mistake by me.

Mary S. R. I honestly CAN'T wait to read this book! Supertastic review, love 💙

MischaS_ Mary wrote: "I honestly CAN'T wait to read this book! Supertastic review, love 💙"

Thank you so much, dear. 💚 I wanted to read this book from the beginning. But I personally thought that it was playing a bit on a similar note with the Three Dark Crowns. But after reading the sneak peek, I'm pleasantly surprised and on the other hand, I think that it might be a shame that people may confuse it/compare it with the three dark crowns. This book really seems good, it can stand on its own! And honestly? I did not like that the Three Dark Crowns had a very slow start. This is an action from the first chapter!

Btw, do you think we could do a buddy read for this one? 😍

Mary S. R. MischaS_ wrote: "I think that it might be a shame that people may confuse it/compare it with the three dark crowns."

Oh, I never read TDC and never plan to. I considered it so many times, each time somebody loved it and I read their review I thought to reconsider, but then I read what they loved about it and it just wasn't me. I even bought the two books once, read some parts, decided I didn't want to read it, then gifted the two brand new books to a friend who loved that style.

MischaS_ wrote: "Btw, do you think we could do a buddy read for this one? 😍 "

YESSS WE DEFINITELY SHOULD! That's a GREAT idea! I'm in 100%

MischaS_ Mary wrote: "MischaS_ wrote: "I think that it might be a shame that people may confuse it/compare it with the three dark crowns."

I read it last year (or the year before), I think I gave it 3*. It was okay. I liked the potential but the slow start killed me. And then it still disappointed. I think there was so much more to do with the story. And somehow I do not fell like picking up the next book. My fave from Kendare Blake is Anna Dressed in Blood (only the first one, did not like the second one, I'm pretending that it's a stand alone).

Yay, my first Goodread buddy read. 😍 Just let me know when you'll have the book ready to go.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary S. R. MischaS_ wrote: "I liked the potential but the slow start killed me. And then it still disappointed. I think there was so much more to do with the story."

Exactly know what you mean! First time I read about it, it seemed so promising, but when I read reviews (good/bad) I realized it was just something else and maybe not perfectly presented at first.

MischaS_ wrote: "But it was more that the title is similar with TDC and the cover as well (okay if it was TDC it would be a dark cover but dark blue? Small difference)."

Yup. But I like this one's title more. The slight difference is still honestly making a lot of difference! The ‘dead’ is enough for me :)

And amazing! It'll be my second time, and I LOVED it the first time (did Scorpio Races).
I'll have it probably around the time it's released. A day or two after March 1st. I hope.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Terrific review, Mischa!

message 13: by Vibur (new) - added it

Vibur Can't wait to read this one! Glad you enjoyed the sneak peek 😀

MischaS_ @Paula Kalin, thank oyu so much.

MischaS_ @Vibur, thank you so much. ANd I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one excited for this book.