Leila Anani's Reviews > The Body Snatchers

The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney

F 50x66
** spoiler alert ** I don't know why, but I always imagine SF masterworks as being dry and difficult to read - being all about ideas, story and world building rather than the more pulpy adventure and characters. The Body Snatchers really proved me wrong. Absolutely raced through this classic tale of alien invasion told through the eyes of general practitioner Dr. Miles Bennell. It has aliens, romance, a lightening pace as well as a really good story.

I like the opening line "I warn you that what you're starting to read is full of loose ends and unanswered questions" - which kind of sets up from the outset a kind of make of this what you will tone.

Adapted for screen several times - (1956, 1978, 1993 and 2007) - the closest to the book is the original '56 film Invasion of the Body Snatchers - which is for the most part very close indeed, although the ending is slightly darker. Later adaptations have an even darker ending, particularly the '78 version. I was quite surprised that the novel has an almost 'happy' ending - Miles & Becky survive and end up together and the aliens leave of their own accord realising that they cannot defeat the human spirit - Its reminiscent almost of War of the Worlds - where the alien invasion is stopped not from might but common disease. Certainly from a cinematic POV I much prefer the more horrific ending of Body Snatchers and I think the ending is why the book gets 4 rather than 5 stars from me. Still I couldn't put this one down, and the novel certainly proves why this is such a classic and constantly being revisited over the decades.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Snatchers.

February 4, 2019 – Started Reading