BookChic Club's Reviews > Bewitching Season

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle

Feb 01, 2012

I got this book originally before the release date and had planned to read it then, but school got in the way and I wasn't really involved in the novel when I first tried to read it. I got 30 pages in and couldn't really care about the characters or storyline or anything. But I'm glad I gave it a second chance because I ended up absolutely loving it and getting through it much faster. I really enjoyed the magical element thrown in to this historical fiction tale- it made it a lot more interesting. I'm not really one for historical fiction novels, and it does take quite a bit to get me to read one. This one though hooked me once I paid more attention to it and got a little bit further into the story. I also liked the political intrigue aspect of it, and it was really cool to be reading about people who actually existed (Princesses Victoria- soon to be queen- and Sophia as well as Sir John Conroy) rather than only just made-up characters in that time period. The ending was simply fantastic and had me on the edge of my bed (where I do a lot of my reading) while I was reading it. Doyle's prose is beautifully written and she does a wonderful job with characterization. Definitely an author to keep an eye out for, and I can't wait to read the second Leland Sisters (that's what Amazon is calling this series) book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bewitching Season.