Kylie Purdie's Reviews > Home Fire

Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

This is one of those books I picked up having heard it was good, but not actually knowing what it was about.
I loved how the book took one characters point of view as it moved through the story. I loved how it stayed with that character for a whole section rather than jumping back and forth between characters. Shamsie matched the time of the story perfectly with the character it followed. Aneeka's chapter bought me to tears.
I found Home Fire engrossing. While not a hard read, some of the events tore at your heart. The over-arching questions for me is what would you do for love? How far would you go to protect who or what you love? Who are you willing sacrifice for love?
I would love to see more of Katamat's story after the end. I think he is the one who would question his decisions the most.
I also think Home Fire raises some very interesting questions about how countries such as the UK and Australia treat those who radicalised and find themselves in situations they cannot escape. To then find you cannot say "I made a mistake, I was wrong, I want to come home." seems incredibly harsh to me and more than likely counter productive. I do think it would be better to bring those people home and use them to show others in danger of radicalisation the truth - expose the lies and deceit of those who recruit. Further marginlising those already on the edge of our society will only push them into the arms of the radicals.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Fire.

February 9, 2019 – Started Reading