Jim Puskas's Reviews > Advise and Consent

Advise and Consent by Allen Drury

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: politics, the-cold-war, favorites

To fairly evaluate this book, one must bear in mind that it was written in 1959. Although that was hardly a time of naiive idealism, being the middle of the Cold War, our North American view of the world has surely undergone considerable loss of innocence since then. I thought it a great book in its time, probably THE preeminent political novel. In my mind it remains so today, but re-reading it this year was a far different experience. The political dance in Washington continues of course but our world has changed forever and in some ways the rules of the game are much less clear-cut than they were in 1959. Events including the Kennedy assasination, the Vietnam War, the collapse of the Soviet empire, 911, the current economic and political malaise have changed all that.
I wonder what sort of book Allen Drury would write now, given his focus on the moral dilemmas faced by politicians. Already with "Capable of Honor" and "A Shade of Difference" his outlook seemed to be growing more cynical.
A great human drama forms the arch of the story and that is its strength. No one could fail to be touched by the vicious and tragic destruction of a decent, courageous, implacably principled man. On the whole, the book is so well written that it survives in spite of very serious weakness in last few pages; notably the amateurish depiction of the last confrontation with the Soviet Ambassador and the somewhat silly notion (in retrospect) that a Soviet landing on the moon would represent a serious danger to the USA. Again, one must remember that in 1959 the world was very different from today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Advise and Consent.

02/18/2016 marked as: read