Zel Polev's Reviews > The Marigold Chain

The Marigold Chain by Stella Riley

U 50x66

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I really wanted to like this book but I couldn't. It was a bit infuriating because I just expected more and it was pretty boring. I'm just mad that I spent time on this and it wasn't worth it.

The most infuriating part of this book is the romance. It was just too much trouble for little payoff. I didn't understand Chloe's last annulment plan. It was just too tedious and the story could have wrapped up ages ago if those two just got it together. It was just infuriating because they seem hellbent on misunderstanding each other. Chloe was more of a culprit in this. I think I finally gave up on the book when Alex told her he lover her in a deadpan manner and Chloe just took it in a way that allowed her to be a martyr. She could go run off with her feelings and think that Alex didn't really mean it. Lady, he just told you. She just heard but didn't really listen.

Of course, this problem is just a symptom of the bigger problem that is they didn't really have a romance. They hardly spent time with each other. Alex was away a lot because of the treason intrigue. Suddenly, they just fell for each other. I'm all for subtle writing but this was really subtle. I feel like the author didn't really write the characters with depth. It was just all surface.

The story was really scattered with the betrayal intrigue, Chloe's investing, and the storyline about Alex's friends. I just found it hard to get into the story with it lacking focus.

The story revolves around Chloe and Alex. They got married after Alex got drunk and insisted on it. Chloe went along and they started their married but unconsummated life together. Alex married after his lover married for money. Chloe married to get away from her stepbrother because her situation was getting worse as the days went along. They agreed to annul the marriage.

Alex was tasked with the mission of keeping an eye out for a traitor. The traitor was Alex's cousin. The cousin was caught after incriminating evidence surfaced. The mission took away Alex for long stretches of time.

Meanwhile, Chloe was in love with him. She spent a lot of time in court. There is this one time occurrence of her passing information and helping out. Other than that, it wasn't really relevant.

They finally get together when Alex had a full night of sleep and was coherent. They consummated their marriage. Chloe revealed that their marriage was annulled and they had not been married for days now. Alex finally proposed to Chloe the proper way and she accepted. They went to the king to get married later on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marigold Chain.

February 7, 2019 – Started Reading