Kateri Ewing's Reviews > The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

The first book I read by Kate DiCamillo was "Because of Winn-Dixie," and I've been a faithful follower ever since. Yes, her books are published in the young adult genre, but her stories are so rich with human emotion and magical characters that it doesn't matter how old you are; these books can be taken to heart by a person of any age.

Her language has a lyrical feel, and is always always quiet. She seems to be able to gently tap a reader on the shoulder and say, "Here, follow me. I've got something wondrous to show you." "The Magician's Elephant" is about a young orphaned boy who is searching in his heart for a sense of belonging. Little does he know that almost every other person he meets is also longing for connection, too.

I won't spoil the tale, but would like to share one quote:

"He had been so lonely, so desperately, hopelessly lonely for so long. He might very well spend the rest of his life in prison, alone. And he understood that what he wanted now was something much simpler, much more complicated than the magic he had performed. What he wanted was to turn to somebody and take hold of their hand and look up with them and marvel at the snow falling from the sky. “This,” he wanted to say to someone he loved and who loved him in return. 'This.'"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Elephant.