Pamela Todd's Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2012, romance, ya-mg
Read from February 06 to 07, 2012

Avry of Kazan is a healer. Once a revered magic, now it despised and hunted and Avry faces certain execution if caught. She has been on the run for three years after the dreadful plague spread across her land, stealing the lives of many loved ones. Three years since she has gotten close to anyone, three years since anyone has really known her.

As a healer, Avry finds it almost impossible to ignore someone who needs her help. So when a dying toddler attracts her notice, Avry knows healing the child is worth her execution. But before her death can be carried out, she is rescued from her cell by a mysterious man who needs her help to heal a friend. Avry knows he is the lesser of two evils but the longer she is with him and his men, her heart softens as she is enveloped into the strange and disjointed family.

Avry is an extremely likeable character. Sarcastic with a sharp sense of humour, unshakeable honour and strong-willed – more than a match for the disagreeable Kerrick. I love a protagonist who can handle herself, one that doesn’t cower in the face of danger. Avry can more than handle herself in trouble – usually because she herself is the cause of it.

Kerrick and his men are all totally different characters. Belen is the Poppa Bear, taking care of everyone with a ferocious temper should anyone mess with his family. The monkeys, Loren and Quain always keeping things light and full of good humour. Flea, the adopted member of the pack with a penchant for trouble. And Kerrick. Oh, Kerrrick. Tough. Grumpy. Gorgeous. Smells like spring sunshine. Need I say more?

Touch of Power is full of exhilarating action and adventure as the gang get into their fair share of scrapes. I found myself almost holding my breath throughout the book, and more so as the end grew closer. And yes, I even sighed. A proper girly, swoony sigh.

Even though I read the book within twenty four hours, it feels as though I spent years with the characters. A long period of time passes over the course of the book, and because of it I almost feel like I took the journey with Avry and the gang.

Full of action, pain, loss, romance and impossible goals, Touch of Power will appeal to a broad audience. Quite simply, this is one of the best books I have ever read. After I had caught my breath, my first instinct was to rush out and grab all Maria V. Snyder’s other books. It isn’t very often this happens, but when it does, I know I have found something very special. This book will be re-read so many times, I can see myself wearing out more than one copy.

The bar has officially been raised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.