Sean Barrs the Bookdragon's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

This is one of the most important and necessary novels written in the twenty-first century so far. It’s relevant, it’s powerful and it really is needed. Go read it!

Margaret Atwood ended the world in Oryx and Crake. She presented a vision of the future that wasn’t too far removed from where the planet is heading. And, in a way, this book is an answer to such environmental catastrophe.

Firstly though, it’s worth mentioning that this isn’t really a sequel, it’s told alongside the events of the first book. Atwood presents another vision here: a vision of how we can (or how we would) work towards preventing environmental collapse. It’s the very best of speculative fiction because it plays with real world ideas and fears. There’s nothing in here that is implausible. It’s often marketed as a science fiction novel, but I would not quite call it science fiction because it adds nothing that couldn’t one day be real. And, unlike the harsh scientific solution to world’s problems she delivers in Oryx and Crake, the ideas she discusses here are more compassionate.

The Gardeners are humanity’s hope. They are a radical green group that advocate living in a way far removed from the customs of standard society. Recycling is their religion. Reusing is their faith. They work towards protecting mother earth in all her glory by minimising humanities impact on it. They are a reactionary group, reacting against environmental collapse and a lack of resources that dominated the narrative of Oryx and Crake. They are vegetarians and they live in their own private commune, boycotting consumerism and the pharmaceutical companies that control the population (without them ever being aware of it.)

“By covering such barren rooftops with greenery we are doing our small part in the redemption of God’s creation from the decay and sterility that lies all around us, and feeding ourselves with unpolluted food into the bargain, Some would term our efforts futile, but if all were to follow our example, what a change would be wrought on our beloved Planet!”

They believe “the flood” is coming, a symbolic collapse in which only the pure will survive in the new world after the old one has been destroyed by man’s selfish ways. They have extremely strong beliefs, but they are also practical and are willing to relinquish certain elements of their creed when faced with survivalist choices. They are not entirely bigoted, and their leaders are far cleverer than they initially appear. In such a group, Atwood presents a counterattack on man’s current ways. And when considering the state of the world today, the current environment protests by schools in Northern Europe, the surge in veganism and vegetarianism and an increased interest in maintaining what’s left of the environment, Atwood’s green cult feels very real and, in a way, a possible answer to the problems we are facing.

I feel like a group not unlike these could exist one day. And Atwood really sympathises with their plight and efforts here. It’s a fantastic piece of writing and I’m really intrigued to see exactly what the sequel does.

MaddAddam Trilogy
1. Oryx and Crake - 5 stars
2. The Year of the Flood - 5 stars
3. MaddAddam - 2 stars

description

FBR | Twitter | Facebook | Insta | Academia

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

February 9, 2019 – Started Reading
February 9, 2019 – Shelved
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star-reads
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-lit
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: nature-biology-enviroment
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: veganism-and-vegetarianism
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Cecily With this one, yes, she builds on the themes of Oryx marvellously. And I love the structure: the narrative interspersed with hymns and sermons. As you probably know, this is a parallel story to Oryx. However, I suggest you don't have your expectations quite so high for the third, which was not bad (it's Atwood!), but didn't seem to add much of value.

I look forward to reading your thoughts as you progress through them...

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Cecily wrote: "With this one, yes, she builds on the themes of Oryx marvellously. And I love the structure: the narrative interspersed with hymns and sermons. As you probably know, this is a parallel story to Ory..."

It's not really a trilogy is it? At least, not in the conventional sense. It doesn't feel like a sequel. As you say, it's a parallel story, and an important one that has filled in so many narrative gaps.

Cecily True. One story told from two viewpoints, in two ways. Plus... an extra nothingburger.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I loved this entire series. She is a master writer.

Julie Yes, Sean, love this one!

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn great review, I need to read this

Ann (Inky) I’m so glad you enjoyed this, and am looking forward to your thoughts on MadAddam as well. This is one of my favorite series; it scared the shit out of me. I wish it was as popular as The Handmaid’s Tale and agree with you that more need to read this. Thank you for your review Sean!

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Ann (Little Bear) wrote: "I’m so glad you enjoyed this, and am looking forward to your thoughts on MadAddam as well. This is one of my favorite series; it scared the shit out of me. I wish it was as popular as The Handmaid’..."

I think it sooooo much better than The Handmaid's Tale!

message 9: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Even as Oryx and Crake remains in some sort of electronic limbo in my Kindle, I am adding this second book. Those two sound like a pair of good reads for 2019. Thanks, Sean, for refocusing me on these Atwood titles. Your fine review encourages readers to take a look.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon Margaret wrote: "Even as Oryx and Crake remains in some sort of electronic limbo in my Kindle, I am adding this second book. Those two sound like a pair of good reads for 2019. Thanks, Sean, for refocusing me on th..."

I hope you enjoy it too! :D