Shelley's Reviews > City of Bones

Jul 04, 2007

did not like it
Recommended for: no one
Read in July, 2007

Pure and utter crap. I wish there were ways to give negative stars. I certainly want the time from my life back. I would compare its writing quality to a fanzine, except that comparison wouldn't be fair to fanzines. But I swear to God, it took every single bad fanfic writing cliche and published them. What were her publishers thinking??? Where was her editor?? It was horrible.

I would dearly love for a fanfiction author to make good and become a published writer, but I'd prefer one with talent, thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

02/08/2016 marked as: read

message 51: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star

Em It was written by a fanfiction writer lol, so that explains the crappy fanfictionyness of it.
It was awful

Elyse I loved this book! I guess we all have our opinions but it was a seriously good book! I loved Jace!

message 53: by Margo (new)

Margo I agree. Jace's constant whining and self loathing got old, really fast. And Clary, she's just stupid. How can she be described as rather a shy girl, and hauls of and slaps a boy she's never met and starts making out with her best friend a few days later? Just too much of everything.

Katims13 I must disagree.. This is a fantastic book, and I happen to be a big fan of Cassandra Clare's writing style >:(

Elyse ok personally, Margo I do understand that you have a frustration however my personal belief is that yes, I understand what you are stating about "Clary" however that makes her in my opinion no less of a great character. but I really do love Jace I think his self hatred in some parts is excactly what makes his character so desirible and exciting, it makes you want Clary to prve to him that is his life is worthy. However I respect your thoughs and opinion.

Diane Galinato How could it be possibly horrible?.. Your taste is unlike the others, which I would say is unique. But I don't and can't see ur perspective, I guess the easiest way to put it is like ur the kind of people that would think chocolate is utterly horrible.

I respect ur view of it, I respect what u think, but hell.. I don't understand u.

Elyse haha great example

message 58: by Catriona (new)

Catriona Setliffe Hee! I wonder where this review is being linked, attracting this many "LIEK OMG HOW DARE U HAV A NEGITAVE OPININ!??!1!!?!one" angry teenybopper responses. Oh well, they're young. Hey people: "u" can write whatever "u" want in a review. If "pure and utter crap" isn't an acceptable, well-thought-out response to a published work, why is "it was amazing!!!!" or "this book is awesome"? I always love when reviewers with a less-than-positive opinion of something are expected to write a 100-page dissertation carefully defending their position with citations and empirical evidence, but someone who likes the thing in question can simply say "this is good!" without backing that up. Sheesh.

Elyse Catriona wrote: "Hee! I wonder where this review is being linked, attracting this many "LIEK OMG HOW DARE U HAV A NEGITAVE OPININ!??!1!!?!one" angry teenybopper responses. Oh well, they're young. Hey people: "u" ca..."

I agree wuth you. You makea good point. most people get off scotch free when they like a book and they can say something like it was awsome and people just go with that. but the people who dont like a book tend to get alot of grief, just because there opinion differentiated from others. However there are certain situations like twilight where the majority of people dont like it and those who sided different were the ones who people disliked. However you are right in most cases.

Ashlyn I loved this book. Your Wrong

Teffi You're an complete idiot.....

message 62: by Diana (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana ^ lol an complete idiot.

Anyway, you're totally not an idiot; this book was CRAZY. I have seen better dialogue on POWER RANGERS EPISODES. I can't believe people read this (and admit to liking it!)

Veron!ca and i cant believe you just admitted to watch power rangers.

message 64: by Diana (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana Haha, when I was a kid, yeah. I wanted to be the pink one. Then my brain fully matured.

message 65: by Sally (new)

Sally Thanks for providing a negative review that wasn't full of four-letter words that aren't nice, or cake. I think I will pass on this series. :-)

Yajaira you can just put no stars instead of one..........one star means well it was better than a waste of your time.

message 67: by Sally (last edited Jul 19, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Sally Put what you want for the stars and your review because it is your review, no one else's. They can write their own review and rave about the book if they want. Why do some people feel it necessary to force their opinion on others just because you disagree?

message 68: by M.v (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.v why do you think it was bad? explain further

message 69: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Sidhu This book was pretty good for a first book don't rip on it because you don't understand it.

message 70: by Karly192 (new) - added it

Karly192 Nick wrote: "This book was pretty good for a first book don't rip on it because you don't understand it."

wait are you talking to me?

message 71: by Sally (new)

Sally Nick wrote: "This book was pretty good for a first book don't rip on it because you don't understand it."

Don't rip on others because their opinion of it differs from your own. Would you like someone criticizing your review of a book because you liked it or didn't?

Brydie I don't give a fuck it is my fav book series we have our opinions they can have there this is called comments and they wrote there's so piss off

message 73: by Dusti (new) - rated it 1 star

Dusti Hargis All I know is in my person opinion, the writing itself is terrible. It's confusing and just poorly written. The subject and plot is interesting, but.. There's no explanations of anything that's going on. I'm going to try to push myself I finish it, but definitely not a fan.

Brydie Dusti wrote: "All I know is in my person opinion, the writing itself is terrible. It's confusing and just poorly written. The subject and plot is interesting, but.. There's no explanations of anything that's goi..."

that is funny considering i got it sraight away so did all my friends and my mum and sister so maybe it isnt just quite the BOOK

message 75: by M.v (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.v I think some books aren't meant for others. However, hyping up a book doesn't help since expectations are created and then the book gets more doubt than the benefit, only because unnecessary expectations were made on the book.

Brydie Jordyn wrote: "Its her review people, not yours. Go write your own 'fan girl' reviews. But I agree with Shelley, this book is pure crap. Jace is a dick and Clary makes Bella Swan look normal. So get a life and wr..."

why is everyone so damn critical why does everyone have to judge why are people are exampled to others.people are there own so why on earth gives people like you the right to rip on some one for there opinion because i wouldnt say 'fan girl reviews' if i were you (thank heavens im not)for guys could be fans and just because someone is a fan of something gives you no right to get so bitchy

Brydie Jordyn wrote: "Brydie wrote: "Jordyn wrote: "Its her review people, not yours. Go write your own 'fan girl' reviews. But I agree with Shelley, this book is pure crap. Jace is a dick and Clary makes Bella Swan loo..."

what has this world come to people are now saying troll for replacement of the word commenting im not going to bother anymore because i am not going to be immature and if some one has something bad to say about me i honestly dont care i have my god and my friends and family so say what you want you aint hurting me coz i have learned that if someone has to do this to other people to make them selves feel good then that there is a proven point all in its self

message 78: by Sandi (new) - rated it 1 star

Sandi Good review, but sadly many publishers are out there to make money and know what makes money. This type of story, however awful characterization and writing are, is easy cash for them nowadays :(

message 79: by Sana (new)

Sana oh you old people bore me.

message 80: by Sana (new)

Sana oh you old people bore me.

Kensie I agree completely. Even while I was reading this I could yell Clare was just living through Clary. All of the characters act the same. Clare just throws in one little action tid-bot after another with no flow what so ever. She places uncharacteristically long words now and then to mask the lazy writing coating each page. It took a millennia to finish this book and I am soon going to get rid of it for good. I should have just borrowed it from the local library instead of wasting my money on it.

Katy Parker Why did you not like the book. You know what I don't care if you didn't like it doesn't mean others will if you hate it so much then stop reading.

message 83: by Ori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ori I loved the book. These books pulled me out of a dark time in my life and inspired me to write. That's why when I see reviews like this my heart breaks a little. I guess I don't understand how something that was my salvation and inspiration could be "pure and utter crap."

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Ori wrote: "I loved the book. These books pulled me out of a dark time in my life and inspired me to write. That's why when I see reviews like this my heart breaks a little. I guess I don't understand how some..."

Did you ever hear that saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure"? No? It's pretty famous for a reason.

I don't understand how four little words written by a complete and total stranger, who's not even addressing you personally, can 'break your heart'.

If it was so inspiring and life-saving for you, that's great. But nobody has to feel the way you do and their opinion doesn't deserve any less respect just because you don't agree with it.

If negative comments about a book hurt you so badly and you just can't wrap your brain around how anyone could not like your most favoritest book evuh; don't read them. Go write your own review in your own space. Seems pretty simple, yeah?

(This goes for all the CC fans who feel it's appropriate to leave the kind of comments that have been posted here.)

message 85: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Felt like she was borrowing stuff, you're right about the cliches. But the only reason why she got her books published was because she befriended Holly Black.

antoanaxo Ok I haven't read this but people say CC had published it herself without an editor.

Emmyisdabae wtf is wrong with you?

Emily Blaxill what is wrong with all these people who've said they've read this book this is an amzing book I'm sorry but have u read the whole series? it just really makes me feel bad that a load of people hated this book

Emmyisdabae ya bc this is an amazing book

Persephone This book was honest a creative idea but that's all it ever was. It was poorly written with abnormal reactions to life scenarios.

The fact there are people out there that u detest and how awful of a series this is fills me with ultimately bountiful joy.

Lauren This book is the best

Janett Sounds to me that the only truth about these truly nasty comments about the author, the book, the content and the characters came from people who knew her on fanfiction and can't stand the fact that she was published and none of their crap was! What a bunch of haters, losers and green-eyed monsters. Had any had something remotely intelligent to say, perhaps people would actually listen. Well, quite a few years have passed since that initial comment, Shelly. Are you still a hater? I'm sure Cassie's success is just killing you! Haha!

Lucie Belle Doesn't really matter what you think. She's still rich and the majority of the people who read her work love it. And she continues to publish, and readers continue to read.

Fathima first of all this isnt crap! This is a great novel written by an amazing author. u probably read crappy books if u didnt like this book. I too didnt like it at first but i didnt quit like all of u did!

Janett Lucie wrote: "Doesn't really matter what you think. She's still rich and the majority of the people who read her work love it. And she continues to publish, and readers continue to read."

Completely agree! I'm not a super fan of these books but I like them but I love the characters! I'm in love with the content of these characters. And you are right...we will continue to read!!

Meishuu I can't believe CC has this many stans going by these comments. Kind of sad.

Cerise No.

message 98: by Hsdjhd (new) - added it

Hsdjhd Shelley really there’s no need to be such a bitch! If u hv talent thn show it n prove to us u r better then her if not then better shut ur mouth!

« previous 1 2 next »