Lindsay's Reviews > Five ​Dark Fates

Five ​Dark Fates by Kendare Blake

liked it
bookshelves: eagerly-awaited, 2019

*sigh* a very, very soft ⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️for the final farewell of our favorite trio of queens. I may end up rounding down if I sit on this review for too long.

This has not been a good year for endings in general as most series with last books published in 2019 for me have been total flops. At least with Five Dark Fates I can say this is an ending that I can live with. While I may not have particularly enjoyed certain aspects of Kendare Blake’s plot/character choices I think for the most part fans will not be forming any online petitions for her to rewrite her final book.

Definitely the biggest strength of this series as a whole is the author’s ability to write a story that can go in almost any direction. After four years following these characters I still could not predict most of what was going to happen. Maybe we could hazard some theories as to who would live and who would die, but the journey to that ending was anyone’s guess.

Most authors whose series get as big as Three Dark Crowns has gotten may ultimately be plagued by what is becoming a recurring trend in fantasy sagas: the inability to plan out for the bigger picture and make sure any plot devices are given meaning to the overall story. This book in particular had a lot of story points leading into the opening pages of the finale that could have been used to make this ending a much more satisfying and earned ending. In the end there were a lot of questions left unanswered. A lot of internal lore that was thrown by the wayside and ignored for the sake of convenience. A lot of character deaths, BIG character deaths that left me feeling like I got robbed of some big cathartic meaning. This is a very dark series as a whole, but the ending felt less than true to the original premise. A lot of people got happy endings and the book ends on such a hopeful note that I had a hard time reconciling this with the supposedly gruesome tale of three sisters who were supposed to murder the shit out of each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five ​Dark Fates.

February 8, 2019 – Shelved
September 8, 2019 –
page 326
September 8, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
September 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Prestina Thompson Agree. This book really wasn't dark enough. And it really wasnt even about the three sisters anymore. It got too caught up in lore that never went anywhere. And the rather capricious and nonsensical mists. She lost hold of the story I think.