♥ Sandi ❣ 's Reviews > Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

3 stars Thanks to Edelweiss and Riverhead Books Publishing for the chance to read this ARC. Published August 13, 2019. This is a translated book. Originally written in Polish.

This book was so confusing for me. There were parts that I really liked and parts that frankly bored me. There were times I was happy with this book, and times I was unhappy with it. I often wonder what, if anything, gets lost in a translated book. There were no big gaps or quick turn-arounds in this book, as would be expected if the translation was not going well, so I guess it was just the varying ideas that the author put together. This book is billed as a ‘thriller cum fairy tale’. To me, that statement is confusing enough!

Another thing that I noticed early on in the book was that just from out of nowhere a word mid-sentence would be capitalized. At first that bothered me, then I just accepted it as bad editing (or poor translating) and ignored it. Sometime thereafter that practice stopped.

Janine loved astrology. (this is one place that I thought the author delved too deeply). It was obvious that Janine was a much bigger lover of animals than she was of humans. She also was the caretaker for some summer houses just outside Warsaw Poland. (‘summer houses’ being very kind – they sounded like shacks). She did however have a few permanent neighbors, who stayed year-round, that she renamed – Oddball, Dizzy and Big Foot – to match their appearances. Soon her neighbors start turning up dead and this strange little woman, who mostly keeps to herself, has a problem with getting anyone to listen to her. So, she becomes her own investigator, judge, jury and prosecutor.

I have never read this author before and am uncertain about reading another of her books. This story just seemed to come across as a poor monologue. Like it was being presented without inflection just a monotone, no change in pitch or tone. She struck one note and carried it throughout the whole book. Again, maybe a translation issue? This author is a highly regarded author in Poland and has been awarded for her translated books, so take my review with a grain of salt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead.

February 8, 2019 – Shelved
page 220
September 23, 2019 –
page 274
September 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Kathryn in FL (new)

Kathryn in FL This book is billed as a ‘thriller cum fairy tale’. To me, that statement is confusing enough!
Sandi - maybe the lesson here is when we see such billing in the future, we should run?

♥ Sandi ❣	Good idea Kathryn

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Nice thoughtful review, Sandi 💖

♥ Sandi ❣	Thanks Felicia - confusing book for me.

Diane S ☔ Yes we did agree, a very different reading experience. Terrific review, Sandi.

message 6: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen I think I will pass as I dont need confusion.

♥ Sandi ❣	Thanks Diane - strange book!

♥ Sandi ❣	LOL! But you may have a different take on it Karen. You can't take my review as gospel. However when Diane and I both have doubts - maybe a pass is in order...LOL!!