Rachel Morgan's Reviews > Resistance

Resistance by Laura Josephsen

Feb 01, 2012

RESISTANCE has two things I really enjoy: a quest, and a relationship that develops naturally over time (yeah, I'm not a fan of insta-love!).

It doesn't take long for the quest to get underway. Circumstance throws Alphonse and Mairwyn together, and they end up fleeing from knights who are after a package that Alphonse is required to deliver. They believe they'll soon be able to return to their normal lives, but tragedy strikes and the only way to prevent an even greater horror is if they continue on what has become a much greater quest.

I love that Alphonse and Mairwyn don't get along initially! They're so different that of course they would "rub each other the wrong way"! They are well-defined characters, making it easy to imagine them as real people. I was very curious about Mairwyn's past, and I was rewarded when I reached the second half of the book and the point of view switched from Alphonse's to Mairwyn's.

I love the fantasy world the author has created. Names fit people from different areas, and the descriptions of mecha and crystal-powered technology are weaved subtly throughout the story, not distracting the reader with a large info-dump.

In a review I came across before I started reading RESISTANCE, the reviewer hinted that the second book continues the story with two of the secondary characters from this book. Toward the end of RESISTANCE I had picked out my two favourite secondary characters and was hoping madly that the next book would be about them. I've since discovered that it is! Yay, I'm so looking forward to it now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance.

February 1, 2012 – Shelved
February 23, 2012 – Started Reading
February 23, 2012 –
February 25, 2012 –
February 27, 2012 –
March 5, 2012 –
45.0% "Wish I had more time to read right now!"
March 9, 2012 –
March 10, 2012 –
65.0% "Yay! Romance-y feelings and stuff!"
March 13, 2012 –