Grace Cullen's Reviews > Conversations with Friends

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney

Sally Rooney makes me so proud to be Irish! As a book blogger, teacher and writer myself I always found it hard to connect to most Irish female authors (chick-lit is not my thing)! Rooney writes about the nuances of modern relationships with such an observant eye. The attention to detail and evocative imagery inspired by mundane day to day life is alluring. In Conversations with Friends Rooney has crafted four characters Frances, Bobbi, Nick and Melissa who are not particularly likeable but are so incredibly poignant and relevant to Irish life in 2019. The title suggests that this may be a light, fluffy read but the narrative is actually filled to the brim with philosophical monologues and introspection. Having read Normal People first I preferred the characters and themes of Rooney's second novel but Conversations with Friends is still very well executed and an intriguing debut. I'm waiting on tenderhooks for more work from Sally Rooney and cannot wait to see what the future holds for this bright Irish literary talent. You can follow me Instagram @gracewithloveblog and check out my website gracewithloveblog.com for more book reviews and content. 💚

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conversations with Friends.

February 8, 2019 – Shelved