Becky's Reviews > The Price We Paid: The Extraordinary Story of the Willie and Martin Handcart Pioneers

The Price We Paid by Andrew D. Olsen

F 50x66
Jan 31, 2012

I decided to read this after attending a YW/YM activity to introduce them to going on the "handcart trek" in Wyoming this summer. The teacher said it was the best book on the subject of the Willie and Martin company she has read in quite awhile.

I loved this book about the Willie/Martin Handcart pioneers! The author really did his research. He set the stage for the handcarts with all the planning and 19th century logistics in getting the thousands of British Saints and Scandinavian saints to Zion. He gives a little background in some of these Saints lives in Britain and then he gives information about their lives after their harrowing experiences. "Zion" didn't mean everyone lived happily ever after. Many still struggled making ends meet and they had lasting effects, both physically and emotionally from the frozen limbs and near starvation. He also includes some of these pioneers who later left the Church, usually one doesn't hear about that. It was real-- not a bunch of idealized stories that are so a part of Mormon culture.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price We Paid.