Bai's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

7205012
Jan 31, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, classics

This is a book I can't do justice. From the start to finish, I loved it!

Edmond Dantes is a young sailor of ninteen, honourable, dedicated and about to begin a life of untold happiness. But something goes horribly wrong.

Now, fourteen years later, he is back. But the Edmond Dantes that the world knew and recognized is no more. Gone is the lively smile, the sun-kissed skin and the easy happiness - gone is the man. He is now an avenging angel, set on the path of revenge. If some onesaid, "Revenge is a dish best served cold", The Count of Monte Cristo, as he is now, personifies this statement.

The writing of Alexander Dumas is, without saying, unparalleled. It is striking how he can bring forth to mind two different people completely, when they are the same person. For example, when we say Edmont Dantes we recall the shipmate, the lover and the son. The Count has no such similarities. He is cold, ruthless and manipulative. Again, the Abbe Busoni brings forth a different persona.

It is the same with Mercedes. On recalling the young Catalan we recall a beautiful girl, and the helpless betrothed. But the title Comte de Morcerf brings forth to mind only the words 'unfaithful' and 'traitor'. It is amazing just how much the author can convey with conscious usage of two different names.

The changes and evolution undergone by the characters is enormous. All have them have evolved...into something either more pure, or more sinister. Not one person remained as he was in the beginning. It is a shame I can't delve deeper into that at present, but that would ruin the story.

And lastly, it is more than a tale of vengeance. It is a deep satire of the human psyche...a dark comedy (or tragedy if you choose to view it as such) of how certain events bring out the true self. How a paralysis can cause a 'villain' to turn into a loving father...and how greed can destroy not one, but numerous families. In the end, it really wasn't the Count who destroyed the unjust, but their own natures. The hand of providence, as the author is prone to call it, only guided the Count's own mortal hand to make sure the chips fell into place.

If you love books, I sincerely recommend it to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.