Linda Martin's Reviews > Folk Art Fusion: A contemporary exploration of a traditional, time-treasured art form

Folk Art Fusion by Heather Galler

bookshelves: 2019, art, cats, non-fiction

I love folk art and I love Heather Galler's colorful style, and especially her cat paintings. There are two cat paintings in this book but I've posted her video of cat paintings on my blog here in case you'd like to see some of them.

This book consists mainly of her step-by-step instructions on how to recreate a few of her paintings. I don't plan to do that but I read the book - every page - to study her techniques. I also wanted to learn what art supplies she uses. The book explains all that and I learned a lot from her.

Because I'm an artist too, I'm not into copying other people's art, though I don't mind learning how they do what they do and sometimes those influences are used in my own art. I'm creating a few pages in my current mixed media art journal, using her techniques and the art supplies she recommends. They won't be exact replicas of her work . . .

Anyhow, I think this is an awesome, beautiful book that I'm happy to have in my art book collection. There were some things I didn't like in the book. I don't like the skulls and the skeleton paintings, and also since I'm a Christian I'd never paint Buddha or the Hindu god she included in the book. I'm more likely to try creating one of the cats. I also like the cities and fields she painted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Folk Art Fusion.

February 7, 2019 – Started Reading