Azrielq's Reviews > The Death of the Liberal Class

U 50x66
Jan 31, 2012

Read from January 31 to February 09, 2012

We're doomed- dooooommmmmeeeedddd!

Despite a fair amount of hyperbole, Hedges makes a fair argument that we are currently living in a corporate controlled "inverse totalitarian state" in which the progressive movement, once so strong during the early part of the the 19th century has been completely co-opted and is now impotent to make any real political changes without radical civil disobedience.

One thing that I enjoyed about this book was its vignettes of different progressive historical movements and personalities, such as the the drama of the 30s and its influence and Ralph Nader.However, this seemed to lend the book to a feeling of jumping around rather than a unified whole.

The ending of the book and his conclusion is very hyperbolic. He makes radical predictions on what will happen to our society and environment with scant evidence to back it up, and many of the assertions are enough for an entire book themselves (ex. in the future we will experience widespread urban food deserts, the Balkinization of the internet and all art becoming dominated by advertisement.)

Despite these weaknesses the Death of the Liberal Class is certainly thought provoking and mind expanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of the Liberal Class.

07/17 marked as: read