Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Red Sky at Night

Red Sky at Night by Elly MacKay

2281988
I love the illustrations in this collection of sayings about the weather, but I am less enamored of the text. There were only two or three sayings in the book that I'd ever heard before, and the others felt like variations on the same themes. I did like the section at the back of the book that explained whether and why each saying was accurate, and I wished I had realized it was in there before reading the book aloud, as turning it into a guessing game would have engaged my daughters much more. But the use of light in the pictures is beautiful and effective, and my three-year-old, especially, wanted to study the illustrations to see what the characters (both the people and the cats) were doing on each page. She also got very interested in the photo accompanying the author bio, which shows how MacKay constructs each piece of her art. I'm definitely going to look up more information about that! All in all, though, while I might recommend this book to my friend who is a meteorologist, I'm not sure it would be that useful for helping kids to learn about the weather.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Sky at Night.

Started Reading