Mark Lawrence's Reviews > The Golem and the Jinni

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

This is a very good book. It's a gentle book, concerned with people, spiced by having both of the main point of view characters being supernatural creatures, namely a newly created golem and an ancient jinni. Both of these arrive in turn of the 19th/20th century New York and have to find their feet in the appropriate diaspora (i.e. Jewish and Syrian). The two cultures, as realised within New York at a time when Lady Liberty's arms really were wide open to immigrants, are expertly and accurately drawn (as far as I can tell), and I enjoyed reading about them.

The words that spring to mind when I think of the book are "charming" and "intriguing".

There's no real conflict for most of the book, and no real danger. We are just concerned about the golem and the jinni settling in successfully into their new lives, but it's a fun read and they are engaging characters.

However, a slow burn backstory does develop through the reveal of the jinni's backstory and the continuing machinations of the golem's creator.

When eventually these two threads come together there's a sudden flush of excitement and danger, and I was left looking at the rapidly thinning bundle of remaining pages and wondering how everything could be resolved so quickly.

The ending was clever and exciting, but somehow I was more moved by the build up and felt slightly underwhelmed by the end. Although it was good.

I did wonder (view spoiler)

All all in all it's a fine tale and I can see why it has done so well, selling both inside and outside the fantasy readership.

Well worth a read.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golem and the Jinni.

February 7, 2019 – Started Reading
February 7, 2019 – Shelved
February 14, 2019 –
page 13
2.67% "A strong and engaging opening, though the nitpicker in me wonders how such powerful magic is so easily obtained and whether this version of the world knows about such things.

I think this could be very good."
February 21, 2019 –
page 108
22.22% "I would call it charming rather than exciting so far, but it is very readable."
March 7, 2019 –
page 108
March 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Joanne I am in the midst of reading this right now and thoroughly enjoying it! I am glad to see your 5 star review!

Diene Almeida I love this book so much!

Marion Hill I enjoyed reading this one a lot. Good review.

Jenny I’ve read this book several times and I always get lost in the writing. I’m glad you enjoyed it as well.

jessica great review!! i completely agree, especially about sophias situation. glad you enjoyed this! :)

Tracey I always like to see this book show up on my thread. I read it in March 2015 and loved it. Been waiting a long time for a sequel... oh well
Great review.

message 7: by Andrew (last edited Sep 02, 2019 01:30PM) (new) - added it

Andrew Nice review, Mark! I have this book on my Kindle, waiting to be read. Every time I see an enthusiastic review, I blame myself for not having started it yet. I hope to do it soon. :)

message 8: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH I have this one on audio but haven't made it to it yet. Thanks for the review, may have to bump it up on the to-be-listened list!