Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)'s Reviews > Dark Frost

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

4719633
Jan 31, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, ya, arcs, mythology

I can safely say that the third book in this series is my favorite so far! It has risen above all my expectations.

My minor annoyance with the constant repeating of previous information continues, but I endured. I just scanned those pages quickly-- hence the 5 hour read time on this one. I did a good deal of scanning at times. Sigh.

BUT, the plot was soooo much better in this book. That I wasn't disappointed in. I was guessing up until the last 50 pages! Whoop. Yes, I still figured out who the ultimate bad guy was way before Gwen did, but that's ok. I even figured out Gwen's new power early on, but there were still enough surprises to hold my interest.

For all those Logan Quinn fans out there, hold on to your seats. He ups the steamy factor in this one. Swoon. Logan makes my toes curl. However, my favorite character in this book happens to be Oliver. I love the transformation he has made from the second book. He is one of Gwen's fiercest allies now, and he really pulls through for her in this book. Another interesting aspect of the characters in this book is the subtle change (and not so subtle change) many of the characters undergo. Yes, some of the changes are more obvious-- developing new powers, faces long surpressed fears, etc. But some characters (like Morgan) are really turning out to be full of surprises. I have a feeling she is going to be HUGE in book 4, Crimson Frost.

Speaking of future surprises, what is up with Raven? Anyone else suspect that there might be something deeper and more sinister with this so-called protector? I think there might be something there. As promised, the plot is so much better in this book. The action is non-stop, which you experience from the first chapter. The constant battle with Loki is only beginning and I have a feeling that book 4 is going to be epic.

Dark Frost is my favorite Mythos Academy book so far, hands down. The characters were better written this time around. They had so much more depth than in the previous books. Gwen's conflict over her new powers was heart breaking. You could feel her inner turmoil over her decisions. The plot was also more developed. The door was left wide open for the next book, and I can only imagine what is going to happen. Too bad we have to wait until January 2013 to find out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Frost.

January 31, 2012 – Shelved
January 31, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
January 31, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
May 25, 2012 – Started Reading
May 25, 2012 – Shelved as: arcs
May 25, 2012 – Shelved as: mythology
May 25, 2012 –
page 75
22.32% "Whoa. Way to start with an action packed scene!"
May 25, 2012 – Finished Reading