Paromjit's Reviews > The Scholar

The Scholar by Dervla McTiernan

F 50x66

bookshelves: crime-fiction, mystery, netgalley, thriller

Dervla McTiernan embeds her series featuring DS Cormac Reilly set in Galway, Ireland, with flair here. I loved The Ruin, and this is a brilliant sequel. Reilly is still being shunted into cold cases, but overworked DS Carrie O'Halloran fights his corner as at long last he is assigned current investigations, including the Henderson case, where Rob Henderson planned to wipe out his wife, Lucy and their children. It has been difficult to get Lucy to co-operate with the police inquiry, and Cormac just might be able to break the impasse. By sheer chance, Reilly lands a case which technically he should not have when his partner, Dr Emma Sweeney, becomes a witness when she comes across a hit and run victim outside the Darcy research laboratories that she works at. It appears the dead young woman is Carline Darcy when they find ID on the body, but it turns out Carline, the granddaughter of John Darcy, CEO of Darcy Pharmaceuticals, is very much alive and she claims that she lost her ID some time ago.

Cormac is sceptical about Carline's claim, but he is unable to follow up when he is warned to leave the Darcy family alone, unless he has strong evidence, as the political clout of the Darcy family has the police treading extremely carefully. Determining the identity of the dead woman takes some time to verify until a desperately worried 15 year old boy, Paul Lambert, reports his 18 year old sister, Della, as missing. Della was an extremely bright student that had started university early at the age of 16 before dropping out and working as a waitress, why would anyone want to kill her? It soon becomes clear that the murder has connections to the Darcy Laboratories, and to Cormac's consternation Emma comes under police scrutiny, surely his beloved Emma is incapable of murder? As Cormac finds himself suspended from the case because of his relationship with Emma, another tragic murder takes place. This fires Cormac's determination to get to the truth no matter what and nail a killer, helped by a police team that includes his colleague, the loyal Peter Fisher.

McTiernan engages in some stellar character development with Cormac and the others in this hugely compelling addition to the series. I really adored the supporting characters of Peter Fisher and Carrie O'Halloran. It is wonderful to observe Cormac slowly being accepted and supported by his police team, with the exceptions of McCarthy, his boss, with his political manoevres, and Moira Hanley, who resents Cormac and not above causing him as much trouble as she can get away with. More insights are provided on Emma and Cormac's personal relationship and history with her. This is a gripping and entertaining read, full of suspense and tension, and an absolute thrill ride. Cannot wait for the next in the series! Many thanks to Little, Brown for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scholar.

February 7, 2019 – Started Reading
February 7, 2019 – Shelved
February 7, 2019 – Shelved as: crime-fiction
February 7, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
February 7, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 7, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller
February 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Great review, as always!! 😊

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise Wilson Terrific review Paromjit!!

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review again Paromjit 🌷

message 4: by Ceecee (new) - added it

Ceecee Great review. There’s yet another series I’ll have to check out!!

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Another fab review Paromjit 👍

message 6: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Great review, I look forward to this one!

Paromjit Ingrid wrote: "Great review, I look forward to this one!"

Miriam wrote: "Another fab review Paromjit 👍"

Ceecee wrote: "Great review. There’s yet another series I’ll have to check out!!"

Maureen wrote: "Super review again Paromjit 🌷"

Louise wrote: "Terrific review Paromjit!!"

Julie wrote: "Great review, as always!! 😊"

Many thanks for your generous comments, Julie, Louise, Maureen, Ceecee, Miriam and Ingrid....I hope you enjoy this, Ingrid! 😀😍😀😍

Debra Another great review, Paromjit!

Paromjit Thank you, Debra xo

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Wow, Paromjit. I have this ARC on my nightstand. I may move it closer to the top of the pile. Great review. Do you have to the Ruin first?

Paromjit Thank you, Tammy....I think it definitely helps to have read the first book. :)

message 12: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess This may be my next read. I'm so immersed in Women's Prize reading that I find it difficult to move on to other books!

Paromjit I have high hopes that you will enjoy this when you get to it, Jess! :)

message 14: by Fran (new)

Fran Awesome review, my lovely Paromjit!

Paromjit Thank you, dearest Fran...... you’re a darling! 💞💞💞