destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Pumpkinheads

Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell

Well, this was freaking adorable. I've had a lot of mixed feelings on RR for a long time now so I almost didn't pick up this graphic novel, but the art style was so precious, I finally caved and grabbed a copy, and I ended up really enjoying it.

Deja is such a fun character, first of all; she's plus-size, black, and queer (MGA — it isn't stated if she's bi or pan). We see her interact with a few different exes and potential love interests of various genders and it's really lovely to see a plus-size character being portrayed as gorgeous and desirable when that's something we don't get too often. I also wonder if she's intended as low-key demi rep, because there's a line where she says people don't interest her until she gets to know them, but it's never really addressed so I'm not going to promote this as demi/ace rep unless anyone knows if it's been stated officially, as I don't want to mislead anyone looking for that representation! ♥

My only issue with Pumpkinheads, and the reason I'm giving it 4 stars out of 5, is that I struggled a little with the way the couple in this book comes together. I can't really explain it without spoiling the story, but it just feels a little deus ex machina and I wish it had been a more gradual build throughout the book. That said, it was still super cute and I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pumpkinheads.

February 6, 2019 – Shelved
November 24, 2019 – Shelved as: friends-to-lovers
November 24, 2019 – Shelved as: graphic-novels-manga-comics
November 24, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
November 24, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I dont know why they bother with just a preview of books. You cant give a real honest rating on just a preview.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Rachel wrote: "I dont know why they bother with just a preview of books. You cant give a real honest rating on just a preview."

Agreed!! And I hate reading them, honestly. I wouldn't have even requested this if I'd known. :/

Shireen Hakim I'm trying to get it on NetGalley but no response yet.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Shireen wrote: "I'm trying to get it on NetGalley but no response yet."

Good luck!

message 5: by Brianna:) (new) - added it

Brianna:) I submitted a request for Supernova and same thing happened. I haven’t gotten a copy yet.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Brianna:) wrote: "I submitted a request for Supernova and same thing happened. I haven’t gotten a copy yet."

Aw, I'm sorry :(