Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡'s Reviews > The Play

The Play by Elle Kennedy

20997898

bookshelves: arc, favourite

I haven’t been in love with an entire series this much before. Not sure how, but Elle Kennedy always creates the perfect college romance and somehow we deserve the absolute delight of reading her brilliant stories! The Play delivered a delicious slow-burn, friends to lovers combined friends with benefits romance that left me emotionally gratified and romantically satisfied. Filled with humour, some favourite past faces (I fucking wept over Dean and Jake), the sassiest heroines and the greatest hockey players, I couldn’t want or need anything more.

This guy is funny. And he’s much cooler than I’d thought, definitely not the arrogant asshole I expected him to be. I’m not gonna lie—Hunter Davenport is growing on me.

Hunter Davenport captured my immediate attention in The Chase, it left me enamoured and desperate to have more during The Risk. He shares a similar womaniser characteristic to Dean Heyward Di-Laurentis and has the same cocksure attitude of Jake Connelly, my two favourite and greatest fictional boyfriends to ever be written, I found myself an absolute weark, utter mess unable to resist his charms. Discovering all the intricate, multi-facets beneath the humorous, sex on legs jock made Hunter even more irresistable and reminded me why this series is an absolute charmer.

I promised myself I wouldn't hook up this year, and the temptation to break that vow for Demi is overwhelming.

We don’t just have a hero full of confidence—Demi Davis is just as self-assured with an equally bold personality; a heroine who possesses serious feistiness and the quickest, sharpest intelligence. Despite her experiences with a cheating long-term boyfriend, Demi doesn’t allow her issues totally diminish her dauntless character and her unabashed proposition to have a rebound with Hunter made me realise she’s an absolute compliment to this hero who's deserving of so much.

The moment our mouths make contact, a hot shiver rolls through me and settles between my legs. My dick is thick, heavy against my thigh. Motherfucker. This kiss is everything.

Witnessing Demi and Hunter’s connection blossom from friendship into a titillating friends with benefits before naturally flourishing into a delicious slow-burn romance left me teeming with endless giddiness, my heart burst with infinite feel-good emotions. Sometimes it felt as if they wouldn’t traverse the friendship mountain, but when they did the heat intensified because of chemistry and sexual tension that brewed between them for such a long time. Mixed together is sweet moments and heated chemistry, tied together with some brilliant humour that left me chortling. Even when they're bickering, the banter is absolute perfection!

The Play isn't my favourite (as much as I'm in love with Hunter, no one can best Jake) as the ending felt contrived and somewhat unattached and disassociated with this overall narrative. However, I appreciated the tenderness this romance exuded because I have been officially ruined—shattered as well, because this series of college sports romance featuring some of my favourite fiercest heroines and the greatest hockey-playing heroes is at an end (for now, I hope). Briar U and Off-Campus have carved themselves a forever home in my heart and there is no indication that they will ever abandon me. I have every damn limb on my body crossed because I am desperate as hell to have a Weston romance featuring that bubble butt.

Follow me on: Blog | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Play.

February 6, 2019 – Shelved
February 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 29, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
September 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 30, 2019 – Started Reading
October 1, 2019 –
6.0% "I can't stop fucking laughing. Missed my babies Jake and Hunter. SO. DAMN. MUCH!"
October 1, 2019 –
18.0% "Hunter is such a babe - the perfect combination of Dean and Jake, my two boys. I'M SO HAPPY!"
October 2, 2019 –
October 2, 2019 –
31.0% "I want to scream! Dean!!! Hunter!!! TOGETHER!!! 😭"
October 5, 2019 – Shelved as: favourite
October 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fantabulous review Rochelle!💋😉💖👍

Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡ Kat wrote: "Fantabulous review Rochelle!💋😉💖👍"

Thank you, Kat! You are too kind! 😘