Jana's Reviews > My Papi Has a Motorcycle

My Papi Has a Motorcycle by Isabel Quintero

bookshelves: children-picture-books, all-kinds-of-families, children-fiction, immigration, public-library

This wonderful picture book celebrates the amazing relationship between a father and his daughter as they take their regular after-work motorcycle ride around their community. The little girl greets the father at the door with helmets in hand as he arrives home after a hard day at work. But they take off on a ride past the familiar buildings and homes. The author does an amazing job using descriptive details to help us imagine this ride: "The shiny blue metal of the mororcycle glows in the the sun. The sun, the sun, the bright orange sun is on its way down, turning our sky blue and purple and gold. We become a spectacular celestial thing soaring on asphalt. A comet. The sawdust falling from Papi's hair and clothes becomes a tail following us." This would be a terrific book to share with young children to talk about how we appreciate our communities and become helpful in dealing with the changes that take place in all neighborhoods. It also might make a neat gift for Father's Day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Papi Has a Motorcycle.

February 6, 2019 – Shelved