Frank Tuttle's Reviews > Flying to the Light

Flying to the Light by Elyse Salpeter

Jan 31, 2012

The subject of the afterlife -- any version of it -- fascinates me. I even do some ghost hunting on the side, not because I believe in ghosts, but because there mere possibility of encountering a phenomena which provides proof of survival is too intriguing to be left unexplored.

'Flying to the Light' is an original take on the question of the afterlife. I won't include any spoilers here, beyond what you might surmise from looking at the book's cover and blurb. You've got a deaf child who can not just speak with the dead, but who knows what happens next.

Already, I'm hooked.

Danny, the book's young protagonist, is very matter-of-fact about his abilities and interactions. To him, it's just part of everyday living -- get up, have some breakfast, speak to dead Mrs. Henderson, watch some Spongebob.

But there are people out there who aren't so nonchalant about the boy's abilities, and what they mean to a world of people who will, after all, be dead themselves, one day.

The book recounts the adventures of Danny and his older brother Michael, as they take flight in a desperate race to save their parents and keep Danny's gift from becoming a madman's weapon. Check it out!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flying to the Light.