Paula's Reviews > Heretics

Jul 12, 2008

Recommended to Paula by: C. S. Lewis
Recommended for: G.K. Chesterton fans
Read in July, 2008

G. K. Chester was one of the most influential writers of his time. Yet, few have ever heard of him. Why is that? Well, it is because he defended what has come to be considered indefensible--Orthodox Christianity. His writings have enormously influenced the great Christian appologetics of our time like C. S. Lewis and Peter Kreeft, who have each publically acknowledged their great debt to him. As Dale Alquist has said, "G.K. Chesterton was the best writer of the 20th century." If you are one of those who doesn't know about him, check out this site:

The reason I only gave the book four stars is because it is not up to the standard that I have come to expect from G.K. Chesterton. If this were written by any other author, I would probably have given it five stars, since it is full of delightful insights. I guess I have a double standard when it comes to my favorites. Chesterton has written some perfect books. I highly recommend Orthodoxy (not what you'd think it is, this is what C.S. Lewis meant by "Mere" Christianity, the basics), and The Everlasting Man (see my review). After reading those, he has reset my standard very high.

My favorite chapter in the book is the chapter "Writers and the Institution of the Family." In it he talks about the wisdom of the gospel for teaching us our duty toward our neighbor, and not our duty toward mankind in general. He also points out that being born into a family is an adventure. "In other words," Chesterton declares, "when we step into a family, we step into a fairy tale." This chapter has great appeal for a lover of literature like myself. Here is another favorite quote:
"People wonder why the novel is the most popular form of literature; people wonder why it is read more than books of science or books of metaphysics. The reason is very simple; it is merely that the novel is more true than they are."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heretics.