Sean Higgins's Reviews > Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, technology

There used to be a short answer to the problem posed by Newport that he takes almost three hundred pages to answer. What should we do about all the time-wasting, social-media-hyped, internet-exacerbated problems in society? We need self-control. So all he really needed was a hyphen, not hyperventilation. Though I thought Deep Work was a smidgen too precious, this book is supersized precious. There’s very little fun, though there are occasional common sense reminders about the benefit of focus. The primary way Newport suggests getting better at social media is to avoid it. And it goes against something I wrote recently about carrying my own digital man purse. As I said in that post, I don’t love FB at all, but I wouldn’t recommend this book by Newport as the antidote, to FB, Twitter, email, or to a wealth of online opportunities which also carry some risks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Minimalism.

February 5, 2019 – Started Reading
February 5, 2019 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 8, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
May 8, 2019 – Shelved as: technology

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Dr. Z (new) - added it

Dr. Z Yeah I just read it too and I agree. It was like "hey Deep Work is successful better dash something else off" so he did it over a weekend.

Sean Higgins WHY DIDN'T YOU READ IT FIRST AND JUST TELL ME TO REREAD DEEP WORK? : )