Susan's Reviews > Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene

Jul 04, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: parenting-kids-family
Recommended for: parents interested in Natural Infant Hygeine

I was fascinated by this book, but entirely put off by the author. She makes an excellent argument for the feasibility of Natural Infant Hygiene, and gives useful information about "how to". Unfortunately, she is an all-or-nothing attachment parent advocate and comes across as incredibly smug and judgemental. She is very pleased with her life: she lives on a farm (an ORGANIC farm, she's careful to tell us), made a special sling for her babies that allows her to wear them under her clothes, had a miraculous homebirth, is a strong proponent of the family bed, advocates extended breastfeeding. While there's not a problem with any of these choices, she writes about NIH as if it is only going to work if you also make those choices. Again, while there is nothing wrong for families who do make those choices, not everyone can do so. She trumpets her advocacy of other aspects of attachment parenting in every aspect of this book, suggesting judgement where none need be, and setting up other parents for doubt and failure. In addition, she slips some specious and un-cited facts about vaccination (another highly charged subject, again irrelevant to the subject of NIH) into the book. I will be looking for more books on the subject, but unless you're playing the parenting game exactly as she does, this book might not be the one for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diaper Free.

Started Reading
June 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
July 4, 2007 – Shelved
July 4, 2007 – Shelved as: parenting-kids-family

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Kristin It is interesting how many parenting "experts" are all or nothing. I am very happy we have the technology today so I don't have to have a home birth and risk damage or death to myself or my baby, disposable diapers or cloth diapers to make it easier on a first time mom trying to master breastfeeding on no sleep, and the choice to carry my baby in a sling, click-n-go or baby Bjorn. I am also happy I have the choice to decide how I want to care for my child - just like this author does (but for me, it is without judgement on other moms who do things differently).

Rebekah There is a risk of damage and death when hospital birthing. Technology is making birth less safe, not more safe. Interference is very risky. Find a good hospital that understands when not to interfere and has the self-control to be hands-off.

message 3: by Meagan (new)

Meagan thanks for your review! I hate when authors have that sort of tone so although I'd probably agree with her about most things, I'll pick another book on the subject.