Melissa Marr's Reviews > Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1971192
's review
Jan 31, 2012

it was amazing

I LOVED this book enough that I'm posting my first ever detailed Goodreads review.

The writing is gorgeous--lyrical and evocative without ever descending into unnecessarily purple. The story is compelling (& the twist was unexpected), and the characters felt like they were real enough to have heartbeats. The author is also one of those wonderful creatures whose pre-finished books are clean enough to read. I read this in manuscript, pre-galleys, and the writing was so polished that I only noticed one error in the text. THAT is rare.

SPLINTERED is a great companion read to Carroll's ALICE IN WONDERLAND without disrespecting the original text in any way. It's not a re-telling/re-envisioning, but a story that uses ALICE as background to jump off into a new story. Honestly, I was hesitant to read it because of the ALICE association. (I am a lifelong ALICE fan and former university lit instructor.) However, in A.G. Howard's hands, the allusions to the original story are treated with respect. It was masterfully done.

It's also the first book I've read that I could say was actually a read-alike for my Wicked Lovely series. I've seen that phrase thrown around by publishers since WL released, and I usually roll my eyes. SPLINTERED, however, is a perfect fit for any of you who enjoyed WL. In it you will find a pierced artist who is the protag's best friend, a girl who has a major secret and ends up caught up in the politics of a strange world filled with beautiful terrifying creatures. There's even a "living ivy vine" moment. It's a read-alike without being derivative.

Most of all, though, SPLINTERED is simply a delicious, disturbing, mad, wonderful read. I can't recommend it highly enough.
302 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splintered.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
January 31, 2012 – Shelved

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved your Wicked Lovely series! Thank you for the detailed review. This book is now on my to-read list. It sounds amazing!


Bethany Crandell I wish I spoke as eloquently as Ms. Marr, but I agree with everything she said. This book is a gorgeous masterpiece befitting any fantasy lovers shelf!


message 3: by A.G. (last edited Jun 10, 2012 02:14PM) (new) - added it

A.G. Howard Thank you for this beautiful review! It means the world, coming from an amazing author as yourself. :) And it's so lovely to finally "meet" you, after admiring your work for so long.


Kerri I can't WAIT to read SPLINTERED, I know it's going to be one heck of an awesome read. I am counting the days until it's in my hot little hands :)


message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I agree with Bethany. Gorgeous review. Thanks so much for bringing Splintered to my attention.


Amanda It does sound good. I wish I didn't have to wait until January. :)


message 7: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Whaley Now on my to-read list. I was a big fan of WL. Thanks for the review!


message 8: by Sinead (new) - added it

Sinead Loved WL and have a slight obsession with all things Alice in Wonderland so this book is on my to-read list XD


Jennifer Prescott This book is at the top of my to-read list! Can't wait to get it.


Justin Holley Great review...my copy is pre-ordered! Let's do this thing...


☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ Wow it sounds interesting! Just curious, but would there be any content in it that is innappropriate for a 12 year old? Thanks! :)


message 12: by A.G. (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - added it

A.G. Howard ❋☁Meredith~chan☁❋ wrote: "Wow it sounds interesting! Just curious, but would there be any content in it that is innappropriate for a 12 year old? Thanks! :)"

Hi Meredith! It's listed as age fourteen and up due to the kissing scenes/relationships and some innuendos. Nothing graphic, but sensual. There are also some rather violent scenes in places, again, nothing too graphic, but a little disturbing. As far as language, there's really no bad language. A couple of minor words (cr*p, etc...) but they're not used very often. Still, I'd personally suggest that a twelve year old wait until the recommended age because of the relationships and complexity of the plot. Thanks for your interest in the book! :)


Nicole Wang O.O Is it bad that I don't pay attention to the age+ stuff? O.o I've read 16+ things and loved them...O.o


☆Meredith (メルたん)♪ A.G. wrote: "❋☁Meredith~chan☁❋ wrote: "Wow it sounds interesting! Just curious, but would there be any content in it that is innappropriate for a 12 year old? Thanks! :)"

Hi Meredith! It's listed as age fourte..."


Thank you so much A.G., as my little sister expressed interest in the book I think I'll read it first. ^.^ Thanks again! :)


message 15: by A.G. (new) - added it

A.G. Howard Nikki wrote: "O.O Is it bad that I don't pay attention to the age+ stuff? O.o I've read 16+ things and loved them...O.o"

I guess it depends on what you're used to reading. As long as your parents are cool w/you reading the older stuff, then it's mainly up to your tastes. ;)


message 16: by A.G. (new) - added it

A.G. Howard ❋☁Meredith~chan☁❋ wrote: "A.G. wrote: "❋☁Meredith~chan☁❋ wrote: "Wow it sounds interesting! Just curious, but would there be any content in it that is innappropriate for a 12 year old? Thanks! :)"

Hi Meredith! It's listed ..."


You're welcome, Meredith! And I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I loved writing it. :)


message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather This novel sounds AH-MAZING! I loved the WL series oh so much, and I absolutely adore Alice in Wonderland. I cannot wait to read this book and see the world that has been created.


message 19: by Max (new)

Max This books sounds amazing and I'm so glad you loved it!


message 20: by Janis Kay (new) - added it

Janis Kay Now I have to make sure I set aside time to actually read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland so that I sound a hell of a bunch smarter when I get to read Splintered and talk about it :P Thank you, Ms. Marr, I loved your review:)


message 21: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Just purchased this book on Amazon after reading your review! If you say its a read-alike to Wicked Lovely it has to be an amazing read!


Book Swoon  Wonderful review Ms. Marr. I'm so glad that I bought this book, it really is a amazing story.


Pamela I just purchased this book! I can hardly wait until I can read Splintered!:D


Connor Mac Roane You review says it perfectly:SPLINTERED is simply a delicious, disturbing, mad, wonderful read. I didn't know of the connection to the Wicked Lovely series, but it seems obvious now. Thank you for sharing your insight- From a devoted Fan!


message 25: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale I just read it, and I would have to agree completely. Delicious is the precise word I used when I was done reading it.


message 26: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Mcbroom Was it Twid Sisters instead of Twin? I noticed that......


Chasty I could not agree with you more Melissa :D I loved Splintered!!!


Heather I really enjoyed Splintered also. I can't wait for the second book Unhinged! ^_^


Mandy One of my favorite books this year....of course I just got done reading Graveminder and that is in my top 5 of the year


message 30: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess Catlett Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, Melissa— it sounds great! I can't wait to check it out.


message 31: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I loves the book as well but there seems to be a pretty big error in the book. I mean it might be address in unhinged, I haven't read that one yet. But how is Alice related to the Red Queen when it was supposedly her great/great/great grandfather (how many greats!?) that went aboard and had a baby with another women that no one knew about? The magic is passed down through the female's. So, it's either a mistake or mystery to be revealed!


message 32: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Alyssa wrote: "I loves the book as well but there seems to be a pretty big error in the book. I mean it might be address in unhinged, I haven't read that one yet. But how is Alice related to the Red Queen when it..."


This was actually revealed in Splintered -- Red was disguised as her great great (however many greats) grandmother, then she returned to Wonderland/Underland whenever she decided it was time to.

(It's been a while since I've read it, but they reveal it toward the end.)


Rita  Menapace I read this series because of Melissa Marr's review.....I could not be happier!


message 34: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie I understand it's a kinda Alice in wonderland sort of story told in another form (please correct me if I'm wrong) sort of like how Wicked is a production based from The Wizard of Oz.

Basically what I'm getting at is should I read or watch Alice in Wonderland because I've never seen or read it because honestly it freaked me out as a kid so I'm familiar with the story but I don't honestly know it!


message 35: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie I understand it's a kinda Alice in wonderland sort of story told in another form (please correct me if I'm wrong) sort of like how Wicked is a production based from The Wizard of Oz.

Basically what I'm getting at is should I read or watch Alice in Wonderland because I've never seen or read it because honestly it freaked me out as a kid so I'm familiar with the story but I don't honestly know it!


message 36: by Jack (new)

Jack Greatorex this book is so great it got me back into reading again and made me decide to join good reads :)


message 37: by Jack (new)

Jack Greatorex this book is so great it got me back into reading again and made me decide to join good reads :)


Chloe Stone +melissa marr agreed


back to top