Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡'s Reviews > Savior

Savior by Fiona Cole

20997898

liked it
bookshelves: arc

I love that this author intertwines her standalones into this single, larger world, reacquainting us with familiar personalities and introducing new-found characters. Savior contained a variation of romance’s best features—a white knight hero, a heroine with backbone, irresistible angst and mouth-watering tension tied together beautifully to deliver a decadent age gap romance between Alex and Erik.

She was a light that still managed to shine through whatever darkness she faced.

Alexandra Hughes is familiar with desperation, but she reaches new heights when selling her virginity becomes an unwavering decision and the only option to escape extreme hunger and financial instability. However, what awaits within the shadows isn’t as terrifying and gruesome as assumed; instead unexpected opportunities through an infuriating, mysterious hero presents itself. Despite Alex’s naive nature, it is difficult not finding this young woman—her perseverance and inner strength—awe-inspiring in some ways as she goes head to head with Erik.

A miracle wasn't happening. It was just me. I had to be my own savior.

Consumed by haunting memories and unavoidable guilt, Erik Brandt is atoning for his past sins. Underneath his disinterested and seeming uncaring facade is someone hurting, being chased by grief as he protects himself from feeling the same loss he experienced before. Erik is both endearing and infuriating in equal measure—a combination of caring and callous. One moment he is charming beyond recognition, the next a grating asshole because he can’t cope with his emotions.

I adored this initially and though that feeling hasn’t changed much, I pondered my review further and became increasingly annoyed with certain tiny details. Such as Erik—his inability to accept romantic affection bloomed between him and Alexandra became an irritant as, instead of acting mature, he ensured Alexandra witnessed him sexually entangled with other women. Outright asshole, to be honest. Alex and Erik’s physical connection is brimming with some sexual chemistry, heated encounters and intense hatred, but the emotional side is lackluster, making it difficult to appreciate their relationship.

Follow me on: Blog | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savior.

February 5, 2019 – Shelved