Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)'s Reviews > Starters

Jan 31, 2012

bookshelves: arc, tbr-pile
Read from March 08 to 12, 2012

***ARC provided by Random House for review***
I have to admit that I was in a bit of a Dystopia slump, but Starters is such a unique story that it took me right out of my funk! Set in a futuristic, post apocalyptic world, a year after a spore virus wiped out everyone who couldn't get the vaccine (only children and the elderly were able to get the vaccine). As a result, most teens, referred to as Starters, are living on the streets without parents or family. Thanks to modern science, the life span of the elders, referred to as Enders, can be extended up to 200-something years. Starters are not allowed to vote or have a job and some are even taken in to institutions.

Callie, a 16-year old, who lost her parents to the virus, is now living in the streets fighting for food and shelter and taking care of her 7-year old ill brother, Tyler, and her friend Michael. She hears about a company called Prime Destinations, who rent out teen bodies to Enders. Lure by the promise of enough money to be able to have a place to live and to provide for her brother and Michael, Callie agrees to be a renter. Her first two sessions go off without a hitch, but during the last session, due to a chip malfunction, she wakes up in the life of Helena, the Ender who was using her body.

Callie is still somehow connected to Helena, who warns her not to return to Prime Destinations. Callie is sucked into Helena's world; money, big house, expensive clothes and hanging out with other Enders who are using teen bodies. Soon, Callie learns that Helena plans on using her body to commit murder. Even worse, Callie keeps blacking out and during those moments Helena is in control. Can Callie figure out a way to stop Helena in time and will she want to once she finds out what Prime Destinations is doing?

As I said, Starters is one of the most unique, creepiest (in a total good way) stories that will instantly captivate you and suck you in. Callie was a wonderful protagonist, who took care of the people she loves and isn't afraid to go after what she believes in. Even though he didn't come out as much, I really like Callie's friend Michael and I hope we get to read much more about him in Enders. I wasn't a big fan of Blake and I'm curious to see how he and Callie will interact in future books. The Enders were incredibly creepy with the "Old Man" being the creepiest of all.

Lissa Price had created a wonderful world in Starters and I can't wait to see where she will take the story in the next book, Enders. Starters ends with a cliffhanger that will only leave you with more unanswered questions. Although I'm not too crazy about the cover, I have to say that the actual book has a great silver finish that makes the cover so much better. Old people renting out teen bodies? This story would make an amazing movie!

4.5 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes from Starters:
-Hearing his words made it all too real. Creepy old Enders with arthritic limbs taking over this teen's body for a week, living inside his skin. It made my stomach flip. I wanted to bolt, but one thought kept me there.
Tyler.

-The housekeeper had mentioned vitamins. Interesting that my renter was so keen on taking care of a temporary body.

-Did Cinderella ever consider fessing up to the prince, that night she was enjoying herself in the fancy ball gown? Did she ever think of telling him, oh, by the way, Prince, the coach isn't mine, I'm really a filthy little barefoot servant on borrowed time? No. She took her moment.
And then went quietly away after midnight.

-I wasn't sure how I should act. What to say, what not to. It was scary when you didn't know what your body had been doing without you.

-I grinned. Last time this had happened, I had been terrified. But finding out you're supposed to be an assassin puts everything else in perspective.
***
Check out my blog to read more of my reviews and check back this month for an interview with Lissa Price!
Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

Quotes Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist) Liked

Lissa Price
“I need you to go talk to a girl who may have some information about Emma."
"Where is she?"
"Someplace you're not going to want to go."
(...)
"I give up. Where?"
"Institution 37."
I felt a hitch in my breathing. I leaned back against the wall.
"Could I pick hell instead?”
Lissa Price, Starters
tags: humor

Lissa Price
“Did Cinderella ever consider fessing up to the prince, that night she was enjoying herself in the fancy ball gown? Did she even think of telling him, oh, by the way, Prince, the coach isn’t mine, I’m really a filthy little barefoot servant on borrowed time? No. She took her moment. And then went quietly away after midnight.”
Lissa Price, Starters