Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > Sowing

Sowing by Angie Grigaliunas

did not like it

I read this for SFPBO. It was chosen to be one of the 10 finalists, and I did not like it. There’s a gratuitous overuse of violence and rape towards women, among other things. Like there was sooooooo much misery for the main character that it became torture to read (no pun intended) and I just stopped caring.

I don’t have anything against violence. Love it. I love action and violent movies, but there comes a point where it just becomes unwarranted and I reached my point halfway through.

The writing is readable, neither terrible nor totally immersing me with the skill of the writing. The world building was lacking. There were few explanations of why things were the way they were. In the beginning there was a torture scene of a thing called an itzalin, and we never really learn what it was.

It’s just your standard chaotic fantasy setting with suppressed people; there was nothing memorable about it. There’s a crazy mother with no explanation of why she was that way.

The main characters’ names are Ariliah and Rabreah. A mouthful to say, much less to remember. I struggled to tell them apart throughout the beginning of the book, but then I found an easy way to tell them apart. Ariliah doesn’t do anything. I really cannot even recount what happened in the first half of the book. It was just so freaking boring.

I couldn’t deal with the male characters. The one “good guy” in the book is, what Rabreah calls herself, a “creepy asshole.” He puts her through “trials” where she’s tortured, and says loving things like “In all the time I’ve watched you, you were never as beautiful as you are right now with your blood dripping on the floor.” Oh yeah it’s all to toughen her up and shit. Nah. There are other ways of doing that. Read the excellent Poison Study for an example.

There are also such gems as when he threatens to rape her, like “You can resist all you want, Rabreah. You can lie until I reduce your body to a bloody, useless pulp and your flesh litters the floor. You can cling to whatever story of innocence you think I’ll fall for. But by the end of our time here, you’ll tell me what I want to know.” He shifted closer and eased the blade up my thigh, drawing in a quavering breath. “There are such delicious ways to extract answers from a woman.” Mmm. My knees are turning to jelly already. And there’s nothing like getting someone’s loyalty through telling her what’ll happen if she doesn’t behave. “And they won’t be nearly as gentle as I was. They’ll bring her in and torture her in front of you. They’ll rape her in front of you. They’ll rape you.”

I don't really believe or care about trigger warnings, but if you're the slightest sensitive to that sort of stuff, I'd stay away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sowing.

Started Reading
February 5, 2019 – Shelved
February 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Billur (new)

Billur Trigger warning is a medical term recognised and used by proffesional doctors; not what the internet reduced it into. Many people suffer from them duo to trauma or mental ilnesses. I usually look up your rewievs, because despite chain-reacting f-bombs you have a great insight for "not damn okay." So that's my two cent into this.

Krystal Bell You made me want to read this more by being a total asshole. Yeah it’s not the best apparently, but how will the author feel reading a comment like this.... you might have hurt their feelings dude. That’s like, ya know, rude and shit. There’s a difference between constructive criticism and being a bitch btw.

Krystal Bell Just my two cents in the matter. Sorry if that was a rude comment on my part...

Clint Seeber It doesn't matter if it does "hurt her feelings". One is not required to offer "constructive criticism" in a review. Reviews are about opinions.

message 5: by Al saadi (new)

Al saadi I read it it is very interesting book😊

Clint Seeber Billur wrote: "Trigger warning is a medical term recognised and used by proffesional doctors; not what the internet reduced it into. Many people suffer from them duo to trauma or mental ilnesses. I usually look u..."

Dude - you wrote "proffesional" and "duo to trauma".

message 7: by Billur (new)

Billur Clint wrote: "Billur wrote: "Trigger warning is a medical term recognised and used by proffesional doctors; not what the internet reduced it into. Many people suffer from them duo to trauma or mental ilnesses. I..."

English is my second language.