Steven's Reviews > The Evil Queen

The Evil Queen by Gena Showalter

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, ya, netgalley-or-publisher, read-in-2019

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This sounded like a great book. The concept is fantastic - I'm a huge Disney villain fan, and retellings of fairy tales can be really fun, especially when told from the villain's perspective. Alas and alack, this one felt like reading a rushed first draft of a book. It was full of childish dialogue, whirlwind speed scene changes with very little substance, and little to no real character development.

I understand that it's a YA, so it's going to be written to appeal to younger readers, and the prose will be at a different level than a book written for adults, but honestly, it felt like a middle schooler wrote it.

I feel like it was a great concept with poor execution -- lots of potential, but never quite lives up to it.

All in all, I felt like it was appropriate to give this one two stars, the extra star because of the interesting concept and relatively neat magic system.

---
Review to come, but boy, this was a mess of a book. Felt like a rough draft of a middle grades book, rushed into production because of the big name. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evil Queen.

February 5, 2019 – Shelved
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
June 4, 2019 –
June 4, 2019 –
June 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Rozanne Bekker Wow.... that is not how I perceived ot at all.....

Steven Rozanne wrote: "Wow.... that is not how I perceived ot at all....."

Alas, sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that's how it is with books. It's all opinion.

I'm glad you loved it! I wish that I had.

message 3: by Brie (new) - added it

Brie I feel like YA swings either way; the author either "dumbs" it down or they write as though the reader had a modicum of intelligence. I've been running into it a lot. What you described is what I felt about her Alice in Zombieland book. It was so awful I couldn't get through it no matter how much I loved the concept.

message 4: by Kari (new) - rated it 1 star

Kari Yes! Thank you. You put into words my feelings about how poorly it was written. It DOES feel like a first draft that is basically outlining the book.

Steven Brie and Kari, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. It had so much potential!!! :(