Nicole Locker's Reviews > Providence

Providence by Caroline Kepnes

liked it
bookshelves: local-book-club-picks, 2019-february, books-i-own

I had a hard time with this book. It started out very promising. But most of this book was just 2 characters separately chasing a third one who just wanted to not be found. It was over 3/4 of the way through before any of their paths crossed at all, and no resolution really was ever gotten to.

There were a couple things I did like about this book. Eggs, the cop, was pretty much what earned the stars I give it. He was the most interesting character, and considering he was really a sort of add-in, that probably says something.

I liked the premise of the book, and if it had been executed in a better way, I think it could’ve been a book similar to Vicious by V.E. Schwab. Unfortunately, I was so irritated by the way Chloe kept pining and chasing and not really living her life that I just couldn’t really get into this story. It goes on over years. Years, and years, and years, actually.

It did get better about the last quarter of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.

February 5, 2019 – Shelved
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: local-book-club-picks
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-february
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 21, 2019 – Started Reading
February 21, 2019 –
43.0% "I'm not saying this book isn't interesting. It has just the slightest "Vicious by V.E. Schwab" vibe. But for the love of grace, why does this girl keep holding out for this guy. YEARS are going by and he's avoiding her at all costs. It's annoying. I like the cop's chapters, though. (Audiobook is probably helping.)"
February 21, 2019 –
55.0% "Getting better. I still don't understand what keeps this girl connected to a guy who gives her nothing. I get why he stays away from her, to protect her from himself. I don't get why she stays hung up on him. Yet."
February 21, 2019 –
70.0% "I'm not sure what trajectory this story is supposed to be aiming for. Everyone is toxic. Well-meaning but toxic. Not even ships passing in the night. They're all running circles looking for each other but never crossing paths. Why?????"
February 22, 2019 –
75.0% "Well, I'll be honest. I'd DNF this thing right here if I weren't reading it for my local book club. I already didn't read last month's book, so 2 in a row would be bad."
February 22, 2019 – Finished Reading