K. Caine's Reviews > A Dream to Build a Kiss on

A Dream to Build a Kiss on by Narrelle M. Harris

I absolutely grinned my way through this story! There are so many touchpoints here to the canon, which were so much fun to discover (and I'm quite certain there are more nods which I missed--but those are discoveries for the inevitable second read!). Many of the one hundred 221B stories within are accompanied by illustrations by Caroline Jennings--and those are an absolute delight as well, charmingly capturing bits and pieces of John Watson's sketchbook, both the innocent drawings, and the ones which belie his fascinating with his roommate, one Sherlock Holmes.

A Dream to Build a Kiss On uses a multi-POV structure--and it absolutely takes advantage of that, allowing us to see both the private and the public lives of all the characters, giving us everything we need to cheer for them to succeed in their tasks. I found myself eagerly looking forward to each coming story, just because I wanted to know--whose head would we be in now? What bits of information do we get to learn? How does it all link in with the over-arching story? (I have a particular fondness for Sherlock's ritual with the box in his desk--and how it continues to come back, interwoven with the rest of the text and the rest of the story, building and building until something finally gives.)

Narrelle Harris' characterization is deft, and her characters are vivid and come to life so quickly on the page! I found myself quickly invested in John and Sherlock and their varied idiosyncrasies, and was absolutely cheering for them to just /see/ the other person--and the way the romance storyline unfolds is charming, and an absolute delight to read.

In addition to the multiple POV characters, A Dream to Build a Kiss On also takes advantage of different styles of writing, including personal journal entries and text message exchanges. All in all, I had such a fun time reading this, and will be reading more of Narrelle Harris' work in future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dream to Build a Kiss on.

February 4, 2019 – Started Reading