Beige's Reviews > Barrayar

Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold

bookshelves: 2019-machalo-book-bingo, zread-1-scifi

Read for the 2019 MacHalo Splendiferous Book Bingo Thingie: Set in Another World

You really can't tell this was written years later, it starts 24 hours after the end of Shards of Honour and flows seemlessly. It is quite a different setting, having none of the alien planets or the space battles that I enjoyed in Shards. While it was set solely on Barrayer, it had oodles of political intrigue and culture clashing. What I enjoyed most was the societal pressures and ethical dilemmas the characters faced, especially those on parenthood, victimhood and physical/mental disabilities.

The author also addresses the painful and uncomfortable events of bk 1, the time spent on these may not feel sufficient to some readers, but I felt it rang true to the character's cultural beliefs and values.

I'm happy to have finally met Miles, the series main character. His introduction did not disappoint, I can't wait to see what he's like when he's all grown up :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barrayar.

February 4, 2019 – Started Reading
February 4, 2019 – Shelved
February 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-machalo-book-bingo
February 6, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 9, 2019 – Shelved as: zread-1-scifi

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Margaux (new) - added it

Margaux I wasn't going to continue this series, but your review is making me reconsider!!

Beige I just love that Cordelia is a bit older and a lot wiser than many other MCs out there.

The rest of the series focusses on Miles, who many people rave about in their reviews, so I'll determine if I continue once I've read at least one with him.