Lora's Reviews > Wonderstruck

liked it
bookshelves: lib-read
Recommended for: fans of Brian Selznick and illustrated children's fiction
Read in January, 2012

Despite Wonderstruck's 630 pages, I read it within the span of three hours. Granted, over 460 of those pages are illustrations, but I still believe this fact attests to Wonderstruck's ability to keep its reader engaged and entertained.

Wonderstruck is two stories in one: it is Ben's story, and it is Rose's story. With the former's being told in words, and the latter's being told in illustrations, this textile tale takes two youngsters, a book, a turtle, a bookstore, a museum, and several supporting characters and blends them perfectly to ultimately make one beautiful, symmetrical story.
As the story carefully unfolds, we learn that Ben is deaf in one ear, and Rose is deaf completely. Ben has recently lost his mother, and is now anxious to find out all he can about his father, whom his mother never told him about. After finding a few clues in his mother's bedroom, Ben goes off to New York in search of his father.
Meanwhile, Rose, always feeling like she doesn't belong anywhere, is obsessed with a movie starlet. Thanks to a newspaper article, Rose ends up going to see this actress during one of her stage shows in New York.
Although their stories are fifty years apart, both characters go on almost the exact same journey and end up in many of the same places, and the reader is left feeling nothing short of amazement when all is revealed and each character finds what they've been so desperate to have: love, and a sense of belonging.

As it is children's literature, Wonderstruck isn't the sort of story I'd normally go for. But the more I read the more I realize that stepping out of your comfort zone is the only way to truly see what you're missing. And in the case of Wonderstruck, it is certainly something to behold. Selznick's illustrations are absolute food for the eyes and I believe they speak for themselves:

Along with a few other illustrated works I've recently read, Wonderstruck has given me an appreciation for art and helped me to see how it can truly make a story come alive. 3.5 stars

P.S. I'm very much looking forward to exploring Selznick's debut, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I'm sure you know has recently been made into a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hi Lora! I loved Hugo! I have been looking forward to this one! Wonderful review! :)

Cara I completely LOVED this one, which reminds me I should write a review for it... *shakes head* The style took me by surprise and I felt the pictures really did a good job of making me feel how the main characters would view the world since they were deaf. BTW nice review Lora;)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) this sounds great, and those illustrations are just lovely! glad you enjoyed yourself with this one.

Lora Thanks, ladies.

Cara, you should definitely write a review for this one! :)

Monica A friend recommended this to me as he felt that it is a book for dreamers and him. Yes, it is good to read out of our comfort zone and bring our soul on a little adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading Hugo soon.

message 6: by Sahir (new) - added it

Sahir D'souza. Lora, go right ahead and read 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret'. It is AAMAZING. ASTOUNDING. VISUALLY ENCHANTING. UNMISSABLE AND UNPUTDOWNABLE. And the illustrations are not food, but feasts, for the eyes. Brilliant work.

Lora Sahir wrote: "Lora, go right ahead and read 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret'. It is AAMAZING. ASTOUNDING. VISUALLY ENCHANTING. UNMISSABLE AND UNPUTDOWNABLE. And the illustrations are not food, but feasts, for the ..."

Since writing this review I have read Hugo, Sahir; and I would agree, the illustrations were fabulous.

Kelsie Taylor Loved this book, I would write I review though I read it a couple weeks ago I really dont remember what happend exactly but I enjoyed this book. I think everyone should read this but thats my opinion. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!